Android Devices - Screen Best Practices - Virtual Buttons & In-Screen Cameras?

Hi,

How do we properly use the Android device screen
when there are virtual buttons on the bottom
and an in-screen camera on top?

Let us know, thanks!

Jesse

I’m really interested in this too. I just released an update to one of my Android games ‘Kozui’ with the latest SDL (2.0.12) and it uses:

SDL_CreateWindow(APP_NAME,
								SDL_WINDOWPOS_UNDEFINED,
                                SDL_WINDOWPOS_UNDEFINED,
								g_iScreenWidth,
								g_iScreenHeight,
								SDL_WINDOW_SHOWN | SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN);

but this seems to make the first render appear on the screen, and then something takes over and the whole screen goes black and it draws the status bar at the top, which then scrolls off upwards (this didn’t happen when I used SDL 2.0.8) and then my game’s next render makes my game appear OK . But after that, everything seems to work OK then with the game using the entire screen - except I’ve had a bug report from a user with a Realme 6 Pro (using Android 10) which has the game drawn offset down the screen (see screenshot) and screen taps are therefore sent with an inaccurate position to my game making it unplayable.

I’ve tried not including the SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN flag and that seems to leave the status bar and buttons at the bottom showing, not sure if that fixes the bug on the Realme 6 Pro though.

This is the screenshot from a Realme 6 Pro with a black area at the top pushing my game down:

you may need to change SDL fullscreen behavior, commenting out:

https://hg.libsdl.org/SDL/file/13382e1092cd/android-project/app/src/main/java/org/libsdl/app/SDLActivity.java#l271

and/or:

https://hg.libsdl.org/SDL/file/13382e1092cd/android-project/app/src/main/java/org/libsdl/app/SDLActivity.java#l825

Thanks Sylvain, I’m a bit wary on commenting out those two lines as I’m not sure what effect that would have on other devices, and I don’t have a Realme 6 Pro to test it on. Have you had this same problem, and does commenting out both those lines fix it (and not cause other problems)?

It sets the immersive mode and hide navigation bar. But last time i try, there was some issue for me and others with older android versions. Also size wasn’t always correct because the full-screen isn’t immediate. There are a few bugs entries in bugzilla, but I’m not sure if this can be really fixed.

You can safely comment it out if you don’t handle it perfectly.
Just make sure you don’t use calls to toggle in full-screen mode. And test on few devices…

See how SDL behaves by looking at COMMAND_CHANGE_WINDOW_STYLE

I’ve got some feedback from friends and SDL seems to work on:

Nexus 5X API 27(emulator)
Pixel 2XL API 27 (emulator)
Samsung Note 8
iGET G81H Android 7.0

but doesn’t work on:

Samsung S10
iGET blackview A30 Android 8.1
Realme 6 PRO

I guess this means that the current SDL (2.0.12) is broken on Android as it stands?

Here’s exactly what I remove from my code, I think this works fine but there is more than the two lines.

+++ app/src/main/java/org/libsdl/app/SDLActivity.java
@@ -269,10 +269,7 @@

setContentView(mLayout);

-        setWindowStyle(false);

-        getWindow().getDecorView().setOnSystemUiVisibilityChangeListener(this);
-
         // Get filename from "Open with" of another application
         Intent intent = getIntent();
         if (intent != null && intent.getData() != null) {
@@ -823,7 +820,6 @@
      */
     public static void setWindowStyle(boolean fullscreen) {
         // Called from SDLMain() thread and can't directly affect the view
-        mSingleton.sendCommand(COMMAND_CHANGE_WINDOW_STYLE, fullscreen ? 1 : 0);
     }

/**
@@ -1433,30 +1429,7 @@
         return dialog;
     }

-    private final Runnable rehideSystemUi = new Runnable() {
-        @Override
-        public void run() {
-            int flags = View.SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_FULLSCREEN |
-                        View.SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_HIDE_NAVIGATION |
-                        View.SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_IMMERSIVE_STICKY |
-                        View.SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_LAYOUT_FULLSCREEN |
-                        View.SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_LAYOUT_HIDE_NAVIGATION |
-                        View.SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_LAYOUT_STABLE | View.INVISIBLE;
-
-            SDLActivity.this.getWindow().getDecorView().setSystemUiVisibility(flags);
-        }
-    };
-
     public void onSystemUiVisibilityChange(int visibility) {
-        if (SDLActivity.mFullscreenModeActive && ((visibility & View.SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_FULLSCREEN) == 0 || (visibility & View.SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_HIDE_NAVIGATION) == 0)) {
-
-            Handler handler = getWindow().getDecorView().getHandler();
-            if (handler != null) {
-                handler.removeCallbacks(rehideSystemUi); // Prevent a hide loop.
-                handler.postDelayed(rehideSystemUi, 2000);
-            }
-
-        }
     }

/**
@@ -1771,22 +1744,7 @@
         mHeight = height;
         int nDeviceWidth = width;
         int nDeviceHeight = height;
-        try
-        {
-            if (Build.VERSION.SDK_INT >= 17) {
-                android.util.DisplayMetrics realMetrics = new android.util.DisplayMetrics();
-                mDisplay.getRealMetrics( realMetrics );
-                nDeviceWidth = realMetrics.widthPixels;
-                nDeviceHeight = realMetrics.heightPixels;
-            }
-        }
-        catch ( java.lang.Throwable throwable ) {}

-        synchronized(SDLActivity.getContext()) {
-            // In case we're waiting on a size change after going fullscreen, send a notification.
-            SDLActivity.getContext().notifyAll();
-        }
-
         Log.v("SDL", "Window size: " + width + "x" + height);
         Log.v("SDL", "Device size: " + nDeviceWidth + "x" + nDeviceHeight);
         SDLActivity.nativeSetScreenResolution(width, height, nDeviceWidth, nDeviceHeight, sdlFormat, mDisplay.getRefreshRate());

Maybe the last block is relevant (“nDeviceWidth” set by getRealMetrics()). It matters if you don’t handle the SDL resize event.

Thanks again Sylvain, I’ve updated my SDLActivity.java as you’ve suggested and sent off an update so I’ll see what feedback I get. I noticed that with your changes I still get the screen goes to black after my initial render draws my splash screen, and now on the emulator the 3 Android buttons (back, home, etc…) are now displayed at the bottom even though I’m creating the window with SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN. That’s no deal breaker though.

BTW could the Android SDKs I’m specifying make any difference? I’m using:

android {
    compileSdkVersion 28

defaultConfig {
        applicationId "com.windowsgames.kozui"
        minSdkVersion 16
        targetSdkVersion 28

I don’t think this make any difference but I use:
compileSdkVersion 29
targetSdkVersion 29
with ndk-r21d
I answered the SplashScreen in your other topic :slight_smile: