Changing display resolution using SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN with multiple displays not working on mac OS X (el capitan)?

hi all,

using THREE monitors, and trying to create two SDL_windows like this :

int display_main_num = 1;
int display_2nd_num = 2;

m_main_window_w = 1024;
m_main_window_h = 768;
m_2nd_window_w = 1024;
m_2nd_window_h = 768;

m_main_window = SDL_CreateWindow("Main window",SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED_DISPLAY(display_main_num),SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED_DISPLAY(display_main_num),m_main_window_w,m_main_window_h,SDL_WINDOW_SHOWN|SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP);
m_main_renderer = SDL_CreateRenderer(m_main_window, -1, SDL_RENDERER_SOFTWARE);

m_2nd_window = SDL_CreateWindow("2nd window",SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED_DISPLAY(display_2nd_num),SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED_DISPLAY(display_2nd_num),m_2nd_window_w,m_2nd_window_h,SDL_WINDOW_SHOWN|SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP);
m_2nd_renderer = SDL_CreateRenderer(m_2nd_window, -1, SDL_RENDERER_SOFTWARE);

this works nicely, but these call don’t change resolutions yet. However, when I change the flags SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP to SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN, SDL is supposed to change the resolution of both monitors to 1024 x 768. A lot happens on the screen : flickering windows, typical macos fullscreen resizing animation, flashing menu bar, ? but the whole function stays stuck in he first CreateWindow() call

after I click around a bit, the code continues, but the windows are NOT fullscreen.

has anyone succeeded in using multiple displays WITH resolution changes ?

I also tried with using only ONE display resolution and leaving the other at desktop res, but even that didn?t work

Have never tried multiple windows fullscreen on multiple monitors, but one
thing that sticks out immediately is you using the
SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP flag. This will not change resolution, but
always keep current desktop resolution. At the very least, you’d want to
use SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN instead.

See https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_WindowFlags

Kai

hi all,

int display_2nd_num = 2;

m_main_window_w = 1024;
    m_main_window_h = 768;
    m_2nd_window_w = 1024;
    m_2nd_window_h = 768;

m_main_window = SDL_CreateWindow("Main

window",SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED_DISPLAY(display_main_num),SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED_DISPLAY(display_main_num),m_main_window_w,m_main_window_h,SDL_WINDOW_SHOWN|SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP);

m_main_renderer = SDL_CreateRenderer(m_main_window, -1,

SDL_RENDERER_SOFTWARE);

m_2nd_window = SDL_CreateWindow("2nd

window",SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED_DISPLAY(display_2nd_num),SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED_DISPLAY(display_2nd_num),m_2nd_window_w,m_2nd_window_h,SDL_WINDOW_SHOWN|SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP);

m_2nd_renderer = SDL_CreateRenderer(m_2nd_window, -1,

SDL_RENDERER_SOFTWARE);

this works nicely, but these call don’t change resolutions yet. However,
when I change the flags SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP to
SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN, SDL is supposed to change the resolution of both
monitors to 1024 x 768. A lot happens on the screen : flickering windows,
typical macos fullscreen resizing animation, flashing menu bar, ? but the
whole function stays stuck in he first CreateWindow() call

after I click around a bit, the code continues, but the windows are NOT
fullscreen.

I also tried with using only ONE display resolution and leaving the other
at desktop res, but even that didn?t workOn Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 1:41 PM, jeroen clarysse <jeroen.clarysse at telenet.be> wrote:

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

yep, that?s what I said in the mail :slight_smile:

I just added the SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP flag to explain that, without changing resolutions, everything runs fine. But, as I said in the mail : when I change it to SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN instead, nothing happens

:-)> On 26 Sep 2016, at 14:11, Kai Sterker <kai.sterker at gmail.com> wrote:

Have never tried multiple windows fullscreen on multiple monitors, but one thing that sticks out immediately is you using the SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP flag. This will not change resolution, but always keep current desktop resolution. At the very least, you’d want to use SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN instead.

See https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_WindowFlags

Kai

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 1:41 PM, jeroen clarysse <@Jeroen_Clarysse> wrote:

hi all,

int display_2nd_num = 2;

m_main_window_w = 1024;
    m_main_window_h = 768;
    m_2nd_window_w = 1024;
    m_2nd_window_h = 768;

m_main_window = SDL_CreateWindow("Main window",SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED_DISPLAY(display_main_num),SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED_DISPLAY(display_main_num),m_main_window_w,m_main_window_h,SDL_WINDOW_SHOWN|SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP);
    m_main_renderer = SDL_CreateRenderer(m_main_window, -1, SDL_RENDERER_SOFTWARE);

m_2nd_window = SDL_CreateWindow("2nd window",SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED_DISPLAY(display_2nd_num),SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED_DISPLAY(display_2nd_num),m_2nd_window_w,m_2nd_window_h,SDL_WINDOW_SHOWN|SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP);
    m_2nd_renderer = SDL_CreateRenderer(m_2nd_window, -1, SDL_RENDERER_SOFTWARE);

this works nicely, but these call don’t change resolutions yet. However, when I change the flags SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP to SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN, SDL is supposed to change the resolution of both monitors to 1024 x 768. A lot happens on the screen : flickering windows, typical macos fullscreen resizing animation, flashing menu bar, ? but the whole function stays stuck in he first CreateWindow() call

after I click around a bit, the code continues, but the windows are NOT fullscreen.

I also tried with using only ONE display resolution and leaving the other at desktop res, but even that didn?t work

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org