Enhancements to iphone SDL

SDL is driving me crazy, on the one hand I find it works very well for the applications I am developing
http://sol3.typepad.com/tagalong_developer_journa/2010/01/the-ffplay-mods-are-complete.html

on the other I find the following to make app development of anything but games difficult and annoying

Windows:

Full-size, single window applications only. You cannot create multi-window SDL applications for iPhone OS. The application window will fill the display, though you have the option of turning on or off the menu-bar (pass SDL_CreateWindow the flag SDL_WINDOW_BORDERLESS). Presently, landscape mode is not supported.

I am sure many devlopers here will disagree and that is their prorogrative. But I find SDL 1.3 unacceptable for my needs and would like to try to do something about that. Any mods I develope will be available to everyone.

I need some answers/hints to a few question though.

Questions :
I see an inplementation called sdl_core_audio.c, which seems to have all the functions available to set up an audiodevice (remoteIO???) , but I don’t see this class used anywhere.

If I don’t need to use the event loop or open gl support in sdl is it possible to just use the audio classes.
ie. Can you do something like

SDL_AudioInit(null)

Any hints on what classes I would need to modify.

Possible mods:

1. I’m thinking a very simple mod would be to add a handleOpenURL method to uiTapKitDelegate which should allow passing an url to sdl app. the url could than be included in the var copy loop.

Similarly on sdl quit. I’m thinking you could get hold of the delegage and do a url back to the caller.

Alternatively the url could be passed via a shared keychain.

Finally

1. IF I wanted to add a toolbar to the view and display a table view for instance, or at least a uiwebview, it their anyway I can do that.

I’ve been following the implementation of the onscreen keyboard and I see that there is

an SDL_uikitView that is declared as an interface in SDL_uikitopenglView,

It would seem to me that any hacks to display a subview would start there.

I’m I on the right track, I hope.

please help , this is driving me crazy. [Crying or Very sad]

Hello !

@ michelleC :

I am sure Sam is more than happy to accept patches
that improve SDL on the iphone.

If you want to do intrusive changes, publish your ideas here
first and if it is okay for others too, start coding.

This is a lot more usefull than yelling at SDL.

CU

I don’t disagree with you.

You need to look at my other post which retracted pretty much everything I said :-), and explains how to do some of the integrations I wanted, in a very non intrusive way.

Torsten Giebl wrote:> Hello !

@ michelleC :

I am sure Sam is more than happy to accept patches
that improve SDL on the iphone.

If you want to do intrusive changes, publish your ideas here
first and if it is okay for others too, start coding.

This is a lot more usefull than yelling at SDL.

CU

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org