Error message clarification needed

Hello,

I hope I am posting this in the right place. :slight_smile:

A group of us have been using SDL to create Wolfenstein 3D mods, thanks to Moritz “Ripper” Kroll’s porting of the Wolf3d source code to his Wolf4SDL engine.

I have created many EXEs based on Wolf4SDL, but have run across this error message on a friend’s computer during beta testing of a particular mod:

“Unable to init SDL: DirectInputDevice::SetDataFormat: Invalid parameters”

This mod (The DieHard Wolfers TC) has been released, runs fine for everyone else except my friend. He is running Windows 98 SE.

The DLLs I used for the mod are:

SDL.DLL v 1.2.14.0
SDL_mixer.DLL v 1.2.11.0

I have played this mod (and many others) quite a bit on my own Windows 98 SE computer without any incident.

I would like to know what this error message means, and what could possibly be causing it to occur?

Thanks,
Andy

I was going to suggest that perhaps windows 98 isn’t supported, but it
seems to be with SDL 1.2 ; it may be that you have to distribute a windows
98-compiled SDL binary, but I don’t know, as I’ve never used Win98 with SDL
1.2.13 (last version noted on the Wolf4SDL site).
Hopefully that was somewhat helpful,
-AlexOn Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 7:08 PM, wolf3dman wrote:

Hello,

I hope I am posting this in the right place. [image: Smile]

A group of us have been using SDL to create Wolfenstein 3D mods, thanks to
Moritz “Ripper” Kroll’s porting of the Wolf3d source code to his Wolf4SDL
engine.

I have created many EXEs based on Wolf4SDL, but have run across this error
message on a friend’s computer during beta testing of a particular mod:

“Unable to init SDL: DirectInputDevice::SetDataFormat: Invalid parameters”

This mod (The DieHard Wolfers TC) has been released, runs fine for
everyone else except my friend. He is running Windows 98 SE.

The DLLs I used for the mod are:

SDL.DLL v 1.2.14.0
SDL_mixer.DLL v 1.2.11.0

I have played this mod (and many others) quite a bit on my own Windows 98
SE computer without any incident.

I would like to know what this error message means, and what could
possibly be causing it to occur?

Thanks,
Andy

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

In the Wolf3d community, we have encountered SDL binaries that are not win98-compatible: those built with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 / 2008 /2010. The error message gererated when attempting to run those EXEs on a Win98 machine is quite obvious and is unrelated to SDL. ("…needs a newer version of Windows")

Code::blocks, Dev-C++, and Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 do create win98-compatible EXEs.

The EXE in question has been built with Dev-C++ on a Win98 machine and indeed works on my Win98 machine.

I was thinking that this SDL error message may be due to some hardware/driver/other incompatibility with my friend’s computer, as it only happens on his Win98 machine. Is that possible?

Hello !

In the Wolf3d community, we have encountered SDL binaries that are not win98-compatible: those built with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 / 2008 /2010. The error message gererated when attempting to run those EXEs on a Win98 machine is quite obvious and is unrelated to SDL. ("…needs a newer version of Windows")

Code::blocks, Dev-C++, and Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 do create win98-compatible EXEs.

The EXE in question has been built with Dev-C++ on a Win98 machine and indeed works on my Win98 machine.

I was thinking that this SDL error message may be due to some hardware/driver/other incompatibility with my friend’s computer, as it only happens on his Win98 machine. Is that possible?

What message do you got on his machine ? ("… needs a newer version of Windows") ?

Did you build SDL+libs and the Wolf3D.exe with the exact same compiler ? If not, i would try that.

Is SDL 1.2 in general still working on Win98 ? I thought there were some DirectX changes in SDL,
in the DirectInput Parts of it to be exact.

CU

The message was “Unable to init SDL: DirectInputDevice::SetDataFormat: Invalid parameters”

Sounds like a directinput issue. Does your friend have directx installed?
You can grab the link here:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=3943

Hope that helps,
-AlexOn Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 8:28 PM, wolf3dman wrote:

The message was “Unable to init SDL: DirectInputDevice::SetDataFormat:
Invalid parameters”

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

He uses DirectX 9.0c on his computers that run Win98SE.

OTOH, I use DX version 8.1. So that may be the issue - perhaps the DLL versions used in this Wolf3d mod are incompatible with that version of DirectX.