Fullscreen Strangeness

I’ve got two monitors and having some issues with my app. Here are the 4 things i find:

1. start app on display 0 in a window, toggle exclusive fullscreen, get exclusive fullscreen on display 0. what i expect
  2. start app on display 0 in a window, move window to display 1, toggle exclusive fullscreen, get exclusive fullscreen on display 0. not what i expect
  3. start app on display 1 in a window, toggle exclusive fullscreen, get windowed fullscreen on display 1. not what i expect
  4. start app on display 1 in a window, move window to display 0, toggle exclusive fullscreen, get exclusive fullscreen on display 1. not what i expect

i’m so confused. i read a few posts that sdl2 doesn’t handle fullscreen and multiple displays well. is that true and does that explain what i’m seeing? or am i perhaps doing something wrong?

I’ve encountered similar problems myself. I have two screens (laptop + monitor), the exclusive video mode only works on the laptop, but when I try to activate it on the monitor (by passing a specific display mode for this monitor), the fullscreen mode is activated on the laptop, with the resolution screwed up. :frowning:

I would like to point out that about a year ago the fullscreen mode worked properly on the monitor in one of the previous versions of SDL2. Unfortunately, I don’t know exactly in which version the problems started, but it is currently a big problem.

I would love for fullscreen to work seamlessly and be supported for multiple monitors. Let the player have the opportunity to choose which screen he wants to play on, without forcing him to play in desktop mode (i.e. with lower performance).

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Maybe I’ll try a few older versions. I’d like the player to be able to choose displays as well.

I hope this is something that is improved in SDL3.

In my entire life, I’ve only seen one game that allowed the game window to be displayed in an exclusive video mode, on any screen, with a choice of resolution. That game was Midtown Madness, on WinXP. :wink:

Despite everything, I really appreciated this functionality and I also wanted the player to have it.

Come to think of it, I’ve never seen it. With modern setups having multiple displays a lot more though, it would be nice.

One more thing I’ve noticed. In my number 2 example above, when you move the window to display 1 and toggle it, it becomes exclusive fullscreen on display 0 in that monitor’s desktop resolution instead of the resolution mode you chose.

Exactly the same as in my case. Maybe this is the time to file an issue.