Game Packaging

Hey everyone!

I have a rather simple query!

What would go into packaging my simple C++/SDL video game so that it can be used on any windows-running pc?

It was developed using C++ and the SDL libraries (main, ttf and image) in CodeBlocks 10.05.

I realise I would have to include the .dlls and all the images/fonts I use probaly…anything else? And how would I go about doing that!

Thanks in advance!

First thing that I always do is create a distribution folder. It’s just a folder that I put the files I’ll be distributing. Put the files you think you need in there. Then try running your program and make sure you don’t get any errors (missing DLLs, missing graphics, etc) As long as everything works fine, then I’d use NSIS to make an installer package.

It’s always good to have a spare machine with no dev tools on it to test with so you can make sure you have EVERYTHING you need in your package.

You have a variety of options when it comes to making an installer. InstallShield is another. But I tend to stick with NSIS. Personal preference.

If that didn’t answer your question, reword it and I’ll try again :-)> Hey everyone!

I have a rather simple query!

What would go into packaging my simple C++/SDL video game so that it can be used on any windows-running pc?

It was developed using C++ and the SDL libraries (main, ttf and image) in CodeBlocks 10.05.

I realise I would have to include the .dlls and all the images/fonts I use probaly…anything else? And how would I go about doing that!

Thanks in advance!