Help with SDL-1.2 cross compiling error with libts (tools reference it wrong)

Hi everyone,

I am cross-compiling SDL-1.2(from svn), SDL_image-1.2(from svn), and SDL_gfx-2.0.20 under Ubuntu
9.10 for use on the BeagleBoard (arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi). I’m using the latest versions in the
1.2 branch.

Firstly, if I configure SDL with the option “–enable-input-tslib=no” to rid the build of libts
EVERYTHING WORKS. I will get working SDL libs that I can use on the BeagleBoard with my app.

But if I don’t specify “–enable-input-tslib” it will be ENABLED because my cross environment has
the tslib files and configure finds them just fine.

ls /OE/angstrom-dev/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/libts*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 doug doug 18 2010-01-24 12:55 libts-1.0.so.0 -> libts-1.0.so.0.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 doug doug 11417 2009-11-18 20:01 libts-1.0.so.0.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 doug doug 973 2009-11-18 20:01 libts.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 doug doug 18 2010-01-24 12:55 libts.so -> libts-1.0.so.0.0.0

Before I do anything with SDL to build it, I do this in my session first to setup the cross paths:
export PATH=/OE/angstrom-dev/cross/armv7a/bin:/OE/angstrom-dev/staging/i686-linux/usr/bin:$PATH

Now I configure and make SDL:
./configure --prefix=/home/doug/src/SDL --build=i686-linux --host=arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi
–enable-video-directfb=no
make
make install

Next I configure and attempt to make SDL_image:
./configure --prefix=/home/doug/src/SDL --build=i686-linux --host=arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi
–with-sdl-prefix=/home/doug/src/SDL
make

This will bomb with the last few logged lines of:
/bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CC --mode=link arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc
-I/OE/angstrom-dev/staging/i686-linux/usr/include/libpng12 -g -O2 -I/home/doug/src/SDL/include/SDL
-D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -no-undefined -release 1.2 -version-info 8:2:8 -o libSDL_image.la
-rpath /home/doug/src/SDL/lib IMG.lo IMG_bmp.lo IMG_gif.lo IMG_jpg.lo IMG_lbm.lo IMG_pcx.lo
IMG_png.lo IMG_pnm.lo IMG_tga.lo IMG_tif.lo IMG_xcf.lo IMG_xpm.lo IMG_xv.lo IMG_ImageIO.lo
-L/home/doug/src/SDL/lib -Wl,-rpath,/home/doug/src/SDL/lib -lSDL -lpthread
/bin/grep: /usr/lib/libts.la: No such file or directory
/OE/angstrom-dev/staging/i686-linux/usr/bin/sed: can’t read /usr/lib/libts.la: No such file or
directory
libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libts.la’ is not a valid libtool archive
make: *** [libSDL_image.la] Error 1

Upon further inspection, I noticed the following line in lib/libSDL.la:
dependency_libs=’ -lm /usr/lib/libts.la
-L/OE/angstrom-dev/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib -ldl -lpthread’

It seems that one of the build tools (an area I suck 100% at) is trying to pickup libts.la in
/usr/lib - which is not the cross-compiler area. Note that /usr/lib/libts.la does NOT exist on my
host system.

If I manually change that line to this:
dependency_libs=’ -lm -L/OE/angstrom-dev/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib -lts -ldl
-lpthread’
and then re-compile SDL_image, everything seems to work (not the direct path is replaced with -lts).
So this is a quick-hacked workaround.

So here’s my question. Something isn’t quite working right with libts in a cross-compiled build
environment. Everything else I’ve tested seems to be ok. So what “FIX” could be applied in the
build scripts so this works correctly?

I don’t know if the error is in autogen, libtool, or some other strange-and-complex-guru file.

I can try to provide more information if some kind soul can figure out what’s going wrong.
Thanks,
Doug.

Hi,

I’ve had the same problem and I think the solution involves using

$ make DESTDIR=/mnt/sdc1/arm-beagle/angstrom-dev/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi install

when you install the SDL and SDL_image, then the ‘dependency_libs’ field is correctly
generated in libSDL.la

More info in: http://metastatic.org/text/libtool.html

Jorge-----Mensaje original-----
De: sdl-bounces at lists.libsdl.org [mailto:sdl-bounces at lists.libsdl.org] En nombre de Doug
Enviado el: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:45 AM
Para: sdl at libsdl.org
Asunto: [SDL] Help with SDL-1.2 cross compiling error with libts (tools reference it wrong)

Hi everyone,

I am cross-compiling SDL-1.2(from svn), SDL_image-1.2(from svn), and SDL_gfx-2.0.20 under Ubuntu
9.10 for use on the BeagleBoard (arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi). I’m using the latest versions in the
1.2 branch.

Firstly, if I configure SDL with the option “–enable-input-tslib=no” to rid the build of libts
EVERYTHING WORKS. I will get working SDL libs that I can use on the BeagleBoard with my app.

But if I don’t specify “–enable-input-tslib” it will be ENABLED because my cross environment has
the tslib files and configure finds them just fine.

ls /OE/angstrom-dev/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/libts*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 doug doug 18 2010-01-24 12:55 libts-1.0.so.0 -> libts-1.0.so.0.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 doug doug 11417 2009-11-18 20:01 libts-1.0.so.0.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 doug doug 973 2009-11-18 20:01 libts.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 doug doug 18 2010-01-24 12:55 libts.so -> libts-1.0.so.0.0.0

Before I do anything with SDL to build it, I do this in my session first to setup the cross paths:
export PATH=/OE/angstrom-dev/cross/armv7a/bin:/OE/angstrom-dev/staging/i686-linux/usr/bin:$PATH

Now I configure and make SDL:
–enable-video-directfb=no
make
make install

Next I configure and attempt to make SDL_image:
–with-sdl-prefix=/home/doug/src/SDL
make

This will bomb with the last few logged lines of:
/bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CC --mode=link arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc
-I/OE/angstrom-dev/staging/i686-linux/usr/include/libpng12 -g -O2 -I/home/doug/src/SDL/include/SDL
-D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -no-undefined -release 1.2 -version-info 8:2:8 -o libSDL_image.la
-rpath /home/doug/src/SDL/lib IMG.lo IMG_bmp.lo IMG_gif.lo IMG_jpg.lo IMG_lbm.lo IMG_pcx.lo
IMG_png.lo IMG_pnm.lo IMG_tga.lo IMG_tif.lo IMG_xcf.lo IMG_xpm.lo IMG_xv.lo IMG_ImageIO.lo
-L/home/doug/src/SDL/lib -Wl,-rpath,/home/doug/src/SDL/lib -lSDL -lpthread
/bin/grep: /usr/lib/libts.la: No such file or directory
/OE/angstrom-dev/staging/i686-linux/usr/bin/sed: can’t read /usr/lib/libts.la: No such file or
directory
libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libts.la’ is not a valid libtool archive
make: *** [libSDL_image.la] Error 1

Upon further inspection, I noticed the following line in lib/libSDL.la:
dependency_libs=’ -lm /usr/lib/libts.la
-L/OE/angstrom-dev/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib -ldl -lpthread’

It seems that one of the build tools (an area I suck 100% at) is trying to pickup libts.la in
/usr/lib - which is not the cross-compiler area. Note that /usr/lib/libts.la does NOT exist on my
host system.

If I manually change that line to this:
dependency_libs=’ -lm -L/OE/angstrom-dev/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib -lts -ldl
-lpthread’
and then re-compile SDL_image, everything seems to work (not the direct path is replaced with -lts).
So this is a quick-hacked workaround.

So here’s my question. Something isn’t quite working right with libts in a cross-compiled build
environment. Everything else I’ve tested seems to be ok. So what “FIX” could be applied in the
build scripts so this works correctly?

I don’t know if the error is in autogen, libtool, or some other strange-and-complex-guru file.

I can try to provide more information if some kind soul can figure out what’s going wrong.
Thanks,
Doug.

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario y puede contener informaci?n privilegiada o CONFIDENCIAL. Si no es vd. el destinatario indicado, queda notificado de que la utilizaci?n, divulgaci?n y/o copia sin autorizaci?n est? prohibida en virtud de la legislaci?n vigente. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma v?a y proceda a su destrucci?n.

This message is intended exclusively for its addressee and may contain information that is CONFIDENTIAL and protected by professional privilege.
If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copy or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited by law. If this message has been received in error, please immediately notify us via e-mail and delete it.