How do I make Enemies?

Hello everybody, I’m trying to learn how to make a simple platformer with LazyFoo’s tutorials, and I have stumbled into a problem I do not really know how to approach.

As the title suggests, I’m talking about enemies.

Since I want my game to be tile based, though, and have a usable level editor, I want to place the enemies just as I place the tiles on the map. I’m not sure how, though.

I have tried making a new enemy class that inherits from the tile class, but that got me nowhere.
I have also tried to have the enemies as moving tiles in the tile class, but then I could not figure out collisions and movement.
I have thought of making a seperate level editor just for enemies, and make enemies a seperate class from tiles alltogether, but that might be way more complicated than it needs to be.

I’m pretty new at programming in general, so I don’t really know in what direction to proceed. I have been trying various ideas for two days now, and I have made absolutely no progress at all.

So, if someone more experienced could give me some advice on how I should approach making enemies, it would really be a big help.

Thank you in advance. :slight_smile: