How to get an SDL game on the Mac AppStore

It took me just a couple of hours to get my Windows C++ SDL game (https://youtu.be/ysRtdalURDw) up and running on MacOS. But, I’m stumped as to how to package it up and get it on the Mac AppStore. I’ve Googled everywhere and can’t find anything helpful.

All of my PNGs, WAVs and MP3s are stored as separate files so that SDL can load them. But I can’t see how you combine all of them and the executable file to make a package for the AppStore? Or is there a way of building those resource files into the executable file itself?

I guess you don’t need to include any SDL Mac equivalent ‘DLL’ files? Do those all get built into the executable file via the Frameworks?

Does anyone know of a good tutorial or got any advice? Help!

I guess it starts with your build tools. Are you using Xcode? If so,
packaging, signing, and submitting is all done there.

Assets should be copied into the app bundle (e.g. in a Copy Bundle
Resources build phase). Frameworks and loose libraries (OS X uses .dylib
instead of .dll) that do not come with OS X can be copied in a separate
build phase, though you may need to attend to the rpath/Runpath Search
Paths.

Jonny DOn Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 9:22 AM, SeanOConnor wrote:

It took me just a couple of hours to get my Windows C++ SDL game (
https://youtu.be/ysRtdalURDw) up and running on MacOS. But, I’m stumped
as to how to package it up and get it on the Mac AppStore. I’ve Googled
everywhere and can’t find anything helpful.

All of my PNGs, WAVs and MP3s are stored as separate files so that SDL can
load them. But I can’t see how you combine all of them and the executable
file to make a package for the AppStore? Or is there a way of building
those resource files into the executable file itself?

I guess you don’t need to include any SDL Mac equivalent ‘DLL’ files? Do
those all get built into the executable file via the Frameworks?

Does anyone know of a good tutorial or got any advice? Help!

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

I’m using Xcode but every time I hit Archive, it archives it all and brings up the Organizer window but the “Upload to App Store…” button is greyed out.

Do you have a Mac Developer account that is able to publish on the App
Store?

Jonny DOn Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 9:35 AM, SeanOConnor wrote:

I’m using Xcode but every time I hit Archive, it archives it all and
brings up the Organizer window but the “Upload to App Store…” button is
greyed out.

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

Yes, I’ve got a Mac Developer account (I’ve got several iOS games on the iOS app store)

I think it’s got something to do with this:

You may be getting this message for any of the following reasons:

Your archive contains header files.
If your app links against a static library, then your archive contains header files because the library probably uses a Headers build phase to export these files as shown in Figure 4. Headers build phases do not work correctly with static library targets when archiving in Xcode. Delete this phase, add a Copy Files build phase to your library, and use it to export your header files. See Copying Files While Building a Product for more information about adding a Copy File build phase to your project.

but this is getting beyond me! I just wondered if anyone’s made a tutorial for getting SDL games on the Mac Store? I build my desktop apps in SDL on a Mac, then quickly port them to Windows and upload to Steam, so it seems a shame not to be able to market the Mac versions!

Hello SeanOConnor,

• Are you logged in on Xcode?
  • Do you have all the certificates, provisioning profiles?
  • Are you sandboxing/following all the requirements for the store?
  • Is the “validate” button enabled?

I just wondered if anyone’s made a tutorial for getting SDL games on the Mac Store?

You don’t need an SDL specific tutorial for this, just check for deployment on Mac store.

Greetings.

Yes, I’ve got everything set up, but when I Archive my app shows up in Organizer under “Other Items” rather than “MacOS apps” and the “Upload To AppStore” and “Validate” buttons are disabled.

Hello devs,

Did you ever figure out how to make xCode publish to the app store? I’m a UVA student and my team built a cool game.

I gave up. I got my SDL games on the Windows Store but sales are abysmal there compared to the iOS and Android stores so I guessed the Mac Store would be a waste of time too.

Hi Bradley,

I’m not sure where it is failing for you, but if you have your pkg file ready to go, you can use Transporter (available on the app store) to deliver it to the app store. At the very least it might give you a more descriptive error message.