Is sdlconsole still a thing that could be worked towards?

In my confusion listing the contents of directories and catting the
header files so I can read the documents I ‘accidentally’ looked at
SDL 1.2’s headers on my system and saw CON_console.h. I read over it
and Google’d the project, found this:
http://wacha.ch/wiki/sdlconsole’. I’ve tried emailing the 2.x author
’clemens.wacha at gmx.net’ about helping him or her with teacher them how
to use OpenGL but the corresponding mailbox doesn’t even exist.

Should I continue looking into this or should I stop looking to help out?

If they haven’t made a change in years and there hasn’t been a response
within a week I’d probably consider the project dead.

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed…
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 836 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part.
URL: http://lists.libsdl.org/pipermail/sdl-libsdl.org/attachments/20140408/c548de0a/attachment.pgpOn Tuesday, April 08, 2014 07:02:33 Charles Swain wrote:

Should I continue looking into this or should I stop looking to help out?

I think you may be confusing two things. CON_console, from my memory, was
interacting with stdin/out/err. SDL_console was a quake-style console
library using SDL. It looks like the email you have was active around
2004. Knowing that, SDL_console v2.x probably wasn’t built for SDL2, but
rather was just the second incarnation of the code. What I would do is
grab the source, make a github repo with the code, do your own
modifications, and post that back here to the list. I suspect the
SDL_console authors will still occasionally check out with SDL community
(if they are not already active with differing email addresses), and they
may be interested in helping you revive it, and if not, perhaps other
people will. That’s the beauty of open source, my friend.

-AlexOn Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 8:02 AM, Charles Swain wrote:

In my confusion listing the contents of directories and catting the
header files so I can read the documents I ‘accidentally’ looked at
SDL 1.2’s headers on my system and saw CON_console.h. I read over it
and Google’d the project, found this:
http://wacha.ch/wiki/sdlconsole’. I’ve tried emailing the 2.x author
’clemens.wacha at gmx.net’ about helping him or her with teacher them how
to use OpenGL but the corresponding mailbox doesn’t even exist.

Should I continue looking into this or should I stop looking to help out?


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

I believe the project is quite dead these days. That said, if
written for SDL2 today, it should be easy to use with any renderer
target SDL supports. The original sdlconsole only worked for 2D
games.

I did a little mixing of SDL renderer and OpenGL back in November or
so, and it basically worked. I say basically because the renderer
sets its state once and then only changes them if they’re different
to somewhat minimize state thrash (assuming the developer’s code
makes a moderate attempt to do so). You definitely don’t want to
glGet* ANYTHING if you can help it, so there’s no way to know if SDL
and OpenGL have different ideas about the current OpenGL state.

Fortunately there’s an out here: State change is not the same as
state thrash. Not sure SDL’s idea of the current glColor is the same
as OpenGL’s? Set both, one right after the other.

I did one better?I did some creative matrix manipulation before
calling SDL render functions so that the rendering happened on a 2D
plane projected out in 3D space. That worked too, but be careful of
transparency when doing it. :wink:

JosephOn Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 07:02:33AM -0500, Charles Swain wrote:

In my confusion listing the contents of directories and catting the
header files so I can read the documents I ‘accidentally’ looked at
SDL 1.2’s headers on my system and saw CON_console.h. I read over it
and Google’d the project, found this:
http://wacha.ch/wiki/sdlconsole’. I’ve tried emailing the 2.x author
’clemens.wacha at gmx.net’ about helping him or her with teacher them how
to use OpenGL but the corresponding mailbox doesn’t even exist.

Should I continue looking into this or should I stop looking to help out?


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

I would not mix Direct3D/OpenGL code with the appropriate SDL renderer.
Not only are you almost definitely bound to run into many headaches, but behavior is also quite likely to change between minor releases, meaning new headaches will crop up constantly (especially if you link dynamically to SDL).

SDL2 doesn’t provide any 3D facilities, and the initialization of OpenGL on most major platforms is fairly trivial and numerous tutorials are available to step one through the process. There’s no reason one can’t use SDL to abstract window creation and event processing, but use platform-specific code to create and manage your OpenGL contexts.

Even better; you could always implement a reasonable 3D abstraction of your own and submit a patch.------------------------
Nate Fries

Okay, you’re talking about two different things here, one of which is
completely unrelated to the other.

  1. You suggest not mixing SDL’s renderer and native 3D. I noted the
    problem with doing this and exactly where it is a problem: Immediate
    mode OpenGL, which is deprecated but still used. Everything else
    these days uses shaders. Shaders are useful things. They make these
    headaches go away because each shader sets the state for the stuff
    rendered with it.

  2. You suggest that SDL should not be used in any way for 3D context
    management. This ? is ridiculous IMO. I’ve got better things to do
    with my time than ensure my code works with versions of windows
    dating back to Windows XP, Macs dating back to OS X 10.6, random
    Linux versions, and perhaps others.

Ever see Valve’s presentation on moving code over to SDL and OpenGL
from Windows/XBox and Direct3D? They’re not porting it to X11 or
Waylan or Mir or Cocoa? They’re porting it to SDL and getting all of
those for free (Windows included) and writing their renderers to work
with Direct3D or OpenGL, whatever SDL can use?

There’s a reason for that, and it ain’t laziness.

JosephOn Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 12:49:00AM +0000, Nathaniel J Fries wrote:

I would not mix Direct3D/OpenGL code with the appropriate SDL renderer.
Not only are you almost definitely bound to run into many headaches, but behavior is also quite likely to change between minor releases, meaning new headaches will crop up constantly (especially if you link dynamically to SDL).

SDL2 doesn’t provide any 3D facilities, and the initialization of OpenGL on most major platforms is fairly trivial and numerous tutorials are available to step one through the process. There’s no reason one can’t use SDL to abstract window creation and event processing, but use platform-specific code to create and manage your OpenGL contexts.

Even better; you could always implement a reasonable 3D abstraction of your own and submit a patch.


Nate Fries


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org