Keyboard inputs work fine with Ubuntu, problems with Win7

On a Ubuntu system I wrote a C program that uses SDL for keyboard inputs and graphics. The program runs flawlessly on the Ubuntu system. Now I want to convert it to run on my Win7 system. The hardware is identical for either system (it’s a dual booting Dell laptop). I have MinGW and MSYS installed on my Win7 system for the purpose of converting and running my program. The MSYS provides GNU-like command line and scripting for building and running the program while booted up in Win7.

The resulting (windows) program runs, but without important features working properly. The program starts by plotting a parametric graph for 10,000 points, then swithces to plotting a different graph for 10,000 points and so on. . . accomplished by a ‘while’ loop and automatic random selection of 12 different graph parameters. That part works fine. Within the loop there is SDL code that listens for keyboard inputs. The keyboard inputs interrupt the plotting and perform the task requested by the key hit. The problems are: none of the keyboard inputs are recognized unless I start and then close a second program (such as windows Notepad) while the graphics program is running. Then new keyboard inputs will be acted on - though in some cases the wrong task is performed for the key hit.

I tried changing the flavors of .dll files and header files to see if that might help, but no luck. The proper setup uses all MinGW specific files, all the same bit width (32 or 64). It has been suggested I might need a program called a ‘wrapper’ to get the keyboard recognized properly by this 'MinGW-flavored Win7 system. Does anybody here know about same or similar problems, or about the possibility of a ‘wrapper’ program?
TIA Bill S.

On a Ubuntu system I wrote a C program that uses SDL for keyboard inputs and graphics. The program runs flawlessly on the Ubuntu system. Now I want to convert it to run on my Win7 system. The hardware is identical for either system (it’s a dual booting Dell laptop). I have MinGW and MSYS installed on my Win7 system for the purpose of converting and running my program. The MSYS provides GNU-like command line and scripting for building and running the program while booted up in Win7.

The resulting (windows) program runs, but without important features working properly. The program starts by plotting a parametric graph for 10,000 points, then swithces to plotting a different graph for 10,000 points and so on. . . accomplished by a ‘while’ loop and automatic random selection of 12 different graph parameters. That part works fine. Within the loop there is SDL code that listens for keyboard inputs. The keyboard inputs interrupt the plotting and perform the task requested by the key hit. The problems are: none of the keyboard inputs are recognized unless I start and then close a second program (such as windows Notepad) while the graphics program is running. Then new keyboard inputs will be acted on - though in some cases the wrong task is performed for the key hit.

I tried changing the flavors of .dll files and header files to see if that might help, but no luck. The proper setup uses all MinGW specific files, all the same bit width (32 or 64). It has been suggested I might need a program called a ‘wrapper’ to get the keyboard recognized properly by this 'MinGW-flavored Win7 system. Does anybody here know about same or similar problems, or about the possibility of a ‘wrapper’ program?
TIA Bill S.