Native SDL on Android and OpenWF C

I’m trying to port OpenWF - C on Android , which internally uses SDL to create on-screen contexts. Before I start , I want to know if SDL is supported natively on Android? I’m not looking at API’s at the Application layer.

I want to know if Android has an SDL lib at the native layer.________________________________
Subject to local law, communications with Accenture and its affiliates including telephone calls and emails (including content), may be monitored by our systems for the purposes of security and the assessment of internal compliance with Accenture policy.

www.accenture.com

Since no one has replied to this, I’ll take a stab at it. Please keep in mind my knowledge of Android is limited.

The Android port uses the NDK (Native Development Kit) That’s what allows it to use C and C++. However, it still must tie into the Java framework. So as I understand it, it is a native library with framework bindings. It is that or else SDL is native and the program that uses it has to have the framework bindings.

Last of all, I know that SDL uses the OpenGL ES for its graphics. So the graphics are as native as the OpenGL ES implementation.

I hope that helps

• Micah Brening

nimesh.chanchani wrote:> I’m trying to port OpenWF - C on Android , which internally uses SDL to create on-screen contexts. Before I start , I want to know if SDL is supported natively on Android? I’m not looking at API’s at the Application layer.

I want to know if Android has an SDL lib at the native layer.

Adding to what Micah has stated, Android 2.3 and over support creating activities directly from C code. To my knowledge nobody has implemented that with SDL yet, though.

Here’s some info on that.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenGL_Programming/Android_GLUT_Wrapper#Native_Activity_details

Thanks for ur responses, but i’m not talking about Native as in NDK, i’m talking about the native C code , which Android already has , for eg, it uses webkit for browser , similarly i wanted to know if SDL library is part of the Android distribution , I’ll be working on the middleware. I’m just trying to set up my environment rite now and i’ll keep the group updated of my findings , but wanted to know if anyone knows…________________________________
From: sdl-bounces@lists.libsdl.org [sdl-bounces at lists.libsdl.org] on behalf of josebagar [joseba.gar at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 4:17 AM
To: sdl at lists.libsdl.org
Subject: Re: [SDL] Native SDL on Android and OpenWF C

Adding to what Micah has stated, Android 2.3 and over support creating activities directly from C code. To my knowledge nobody has implemented that with SDL yet, though.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenGL_Programming/Android_GLUT_Wrapper#Native_Activity_details

Subject to local law, communications with Accenture and its affiliates including telephone calls and emails (including content), may be monitored by our systems for the purposes of security and the assessment of internal compliance with Accenture policy.

www.accenture.com

Nope, it’s not part of the Android OS. I don’t really see how that makes a difference, as you can actually link to it.

nimesh.chanchani wrote:> Thanks for ur responses, but i’m not talking about Native as in NDK, i’m talking about the native C code , which Android already has , for eg, it uses webkit for browser , similarly i wanted to know if SDL library is part of the Android distribution , I’ll be working on the middleware. I’m just trying to set up my environment rite now and i’ll keep the group updated of my findings , but wanted to know if anyone knows…

From: sdl-bounces at lists.libsdl.org [sdl-bounces at lists.libsdl.org] on behalf of josebagar [@josebagar]
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 4:17 AM
To: sdl at lists.libsdl.org
Subject: Re: [SDL] Native SDL on Android and OpenWF C

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenGL_Programming/Android_GLUT_Wrapper#Native_Activity_details (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenGL_Programming/Android_GLUT_Wrapper#Native_Activity_details)

www.accenture.com