This sounds great and a perfect starting point for us for the android port of our favorite project (you know which one I’m referring to Sam)
Initially I am targeting android 2.1 , 2.2 foyo snapdragon ( evo, droid x, droid incredible)
I am a bit concerned about the instructions were it says sound is written but does not working,
Is there any progress on that.
I am investigating the modifications the scumvmm folks did with gsoc 2010. and the possibility as mentioned below of just going with open al.
Like our iphone and ipad ports we once again need openssl, theora and vorbis libraries.
After a lot of googling I found compile instructions for an external openssl, rather than using the more limited kernel version.
(there are other project, google for android openssl)
Both theora and vorbis are supported by foyo 2.1 , at least vorbis is anyway. there are scripts for compiling an external version of theora.
As I’ve related to you privately we’ve had issues using the remoteio (iphone_core_audio.c) driver with sdl 1.3 and I am exploring open al as an alternative going forward.
to get decent audio and video sync on the iphone we had to use desired.samples as high as 24 * 1024, which is a huge drain on the resources.
Graphics have not been an issue we have been using open gles 1 on the iphone and going forward will use open gles 2 I presume that is also the best route for the Android.
So I’ve kind of laid out what we are doing with android, contrasted it with as much as I can release about our iphone./ipad ports . I am hoping maybe you and your reader scan comment on issues that I may have.
i will post whatever nonproprietary info I can as the project proceeds
I am currently spending at least a little time turning our custom uikit mods into an actual 1.3 patch. Some of these mods we made you’ve already addressed in gsoc2010 , but there are many unique ones.
such as the ability to switch between native views and sdl views, place transparent native overlays over open gl surfaces, 4 axis rotation for the ipad, support open gl es 2 , native texture rendering. (replacement for sdl_image, sdl_text). integrating notifications with sdl messaging etc.
One issue I am actively exploring is loosing touch interaction with native tableviews, sometimes running the views in there own cfrunloop helps, but in many cases it does not.
One curious issue with the ipad is that the webkit safari converts dropdown lists encountered on a webpage to native tableviews, and these also have the same issues.