SDL self-reports renderer chosen as “opengl” (OSX/MacOS). After a few hours of frustration with SDL_Clip_Rect I wrote some code to clip textures manually. After reading the bug report, I got curious and added a bool to switch between SDL’s clip and mine. At a whim, I just flicked to the SDL clip, and it seems to be working! Not aware of any change in my sequence of calls to SDL (once that clip toggle is switched.)
However, for now, I’m assuming this is MY fault/bug and not SDL’s. I’ll come back to this and mess around a bit later… If I get a concrete, reliable case of clip-fail, I’ll get back on the forum and if necessary make a bug report.