SDL, Allegro Android existential question :)?

Hi all,

I’m new to the SDL community. I will explain my big problematic questions [Rolling Eyes]

I did a game over linux, and I used Allegro :smiley: sorry h?h?
today I would like to put the game over a tablet PC and what was my surprise to see that almost any tablet mainly ARM are based over Android, finally a linux based OS, but the linux community seems not rally interesting for marketing vendor and Android seems more in mind of users.

Anyway, I would like to put my game over a tablet like Ipad or any Android tablet but here is the starting of trouble. With Ipad, I have to convert the game in 4.4 to A5 and use the port of A5 over Ipad but :o the Ipad does not have any USB port :’( that a big pain for me. About Android, there is a project with some members try to port the lib A5 under Android but this is under progress and will not be released before some months I think.

so i turned to SDL which seems to have the Android port available and I m wordering if this is not the good answer I do not have a lot of time to do it :-/

1. hope Apple will put a USB port (open) to Ipad user :smiley: ha ha ha lets go directly to second point, “apple doing something released for everybody without locker h? h?”

2. convert to A5 and hope that the lib will be ported to the Android fastly under Allegro, it seems under progress but this is in A5 so I will have to migrate anyway

3. convert to sdl and use sdl under Android but I do not know how fast can be the convertion. I’m pretty used with Allegro now :confused:

My questions [Wink]

I look the Android porject from Sam and I wondering how progressed the lib have been migrated ? it is finalised or this still need some work on it ?

how it is hard to pass from Allegro 4.4 to SDL 1.2 or SDL 1.3 ?

how much the Android lib have been tested over Android product like ARM tablet (Toshiba, Samsung …) ?

if this port allow dev into native C/C++ application with SDL over Android ? (it is working over Android Java glue ? or directly access ressources via kind or driver !)

I’m just trying to have the global picture about what it can need as work and patience and if I’m ready to jump inside :smiley:

I would appretiate this help

thanks

Ma2t

eh bah,

nobody really inspired [Crying or Very sad]

I’m wondering if I will not use the armel linux project finally [Rolling Eyes]

other question still remains

thanks

Matt

I look the Android porject from Sam and I wondering how progressed the
lib have been migrated ? it is finalised or this still need some work on
it ?

I haven’t tried it, but I assume it needs work, as the 1.3 API is still
being improved on all platforms.

how it is hard to pass from Allegro 4.4 to SDL 1.2 or SDL 1.3 ?

I don’t know. Last time I looked at Allegro, it was much higher level
than SDL…SDL is mostly concerned with giving a decent abstraction over
platform-specific APIs, whereas Allegro seems to be more of a full
toolkit of random stuff.

if this port allow dev into native C/C++ application with SDL over
Android ? (it is working over Android Java glue ? or directly access
ressources via kind or driver !)

You write your app in C or C++. SDL provides a small piece of Java that
calls into a JNI function, which transfers control to your main() function.

–ryan.

thanks a lot for your reply Ryan :smiley:

to be honest I’m still not yet decided between put the work over a linux arm toolchain or migrate under Android.

I’m not decided if I go thru SLD or directly opengl ES :?

Ma2t