SDL Doc Wiki is a target for spam attack

Hello,

I’ve noticed that the SDL Doc Wiki, specifically the page

http://www.libsdl.org/cgi/docwiki.cgi/SDLKey

has became a target for a regular spam attack. This is ongoing since a few
weeks already, and nobody seemed to notice, so I figured it might be a good
idea to send a notification to this very mailing list.

Cheers

Kr?tki

Not weeks, years.
Try the SDL-1.3 wiki here:
http://wiki.libsdl.org/moin.cgi/FrontPageOn 10/06/2010, Tomasz Krasuski wrote:

I’ve noticed that the SDL Doc Wiki, specifically the page

http://www.libsdl.org/cgi/docwiki.cgi/SDLKey

has became a target for a regular spam attack. This is ongoing since a few
weeks already, and nobody seemed to notice, so I figured it might be a good
idea to send a notification to this very mailing list.

Yeah, this weekend I’m going to officially close the old wiki and open
the new one, which has much better spam protection. :)On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Kenneth Bull wrote:

On 10/06/2010, Tomasz Krasuski wrote:

I’ve noticed that the SDL Doc Wiki, specifically the page

http://www.libsdl.org/cgi/docwiki.cgi/SDLKey

has became a target for a regular spam attack. This is ongoing since a few
weeks already, and nobody seemed to notice, so I figured it might be a good
idea to send a notification to this very mailing list.

Not weeks, years.
Try the SDL-1.3 wiki here:
http://wiki.libsdl.org/moin.cgi/FrontPage


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org


-Sam Lantinga, Founder and President, Galaxy Gameworks LLC

Please don’t. There’s still a lot of data that needs to be copied
over. Very little is properly documented on the new wiki yet. Unless
you want to start from scratch, you’ll need to give someone access to
move it over.

I’d suggest change the wiki link on the libsdl.org menu, then change
permissions on the old wiki to lock everyone out of editing or
administrative tasks (after reverting any recent spam). You can do
that from wikiconfig.py easily enough.On 17/06/2010, Sam Lantinga wrote:

Yeah, this weekend I’m going to officially close the old wiki and open
the new one, which has much better spam protection. :slight_smile:

Not to be rude, but I would assume that if Sam wanted to switch to the new
wiki, it’s because all the information is available to go onto it. Not to
mention many people have downloaded copies of the old wiki, and also, the
new wiki is directed at SDL 1.3 (I’m assuming, anyway), so there will be a
large portion that will be somewhat useless to transfer, anyway.
There are various old versions available for download for SDL 1.2 - I
suggest googling for those if you are worried.On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Kenneth Bull wrote:

On 17/06/2010, Sam Lantinga wrote:

Yeah, this weekend I’m going to officially close the old wiki and open
the new one, which has much better spam protection. :slight_smile:

Please don’t. There’s still a lot of data that needs to be copied
over. Very little is properly documented on the new wiki yet. Unless
you want to start from scratch, you’ll need to give someone access to
move it over.

I’d suggest change the wiki link on the libsdl.org menu, then change
permissions on the old wiki to lock everyone out of editing or
administrative tasks (after reverting any recent spam). You can do
that from wikiconfig.py easily enough.


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

Someone’s incomplete private copy, made 4 years ago, hosted on a 386
in the garage, on a dyndns domain is not a viable substitute.

Besides, doing a bulk download of a large wiki is evil. It’s roughly
equivalent to a DOS attack.

Much of the data entered for SDL-1.2 still applies to SDL-1.3, and
there is at least some SDL-1.3 documentation on the old wiki (I should
know, I put it there), which hasn’t been copied to the new wiki. I
know a great deal of SDL-1.3 documentation will be ripped from
doxygen, but there is quite a bit that cannot be easily found in the
source code.On 17/06/2010, Alex Barry <alex.barry at gmail.com> wrote:

Not to be rude, but I would assume that if Sam wanted to switch to the new
wiki, it’s because all the information is available to go onto it. Not to
mention many people have downloaded copies of the old wiki, and also, the
new wiki is directed at SDL 1.3 (I’m assuming, anyway), so there will be a
large portion that will be somewhat useless to transfer, anyway.
There are various old versions available for download for SDL 1.2 - I
suggest googling for those if you are worried.

I’m more than happy for people to help migrate information over to the new wiki!

I ask that you coordinate your changes with Sheena docs at
libsdl.org and send me your new wiki login in private e-mail so I can
grant you access.

See ya!On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 9:38 PM, Kenneth Bull wrote:

On 17/06/2010, Alex Barry <alex.barry at gmail.com> wrote:

Not to be rude, but I would assume that if Sam wanted to switch to the new
wiki, it’s because all the information is available to go onto it. ?Not to
mention many people have downloaded copies of the old wiki, and also, the
new wiki is directed at SDL 1.3 (I’m assuming, anyway), so there will be a
large portion that will be somewhat useless to transfer, anyway.
There are various old versions available for download for SDL 1.2 - I
suggest googling for those if you are worried.

Someone’s incomplete private copy, made 4 years ago, hosted on a 386
in the garage, on a dyndns domain is not a viable substitute.

Besides, doing a bulk download of a large wiki is evil. ?It’s roughly
equivalent to a DOS attack.

Much of the data entered for SDL-1.2 still applies to SDL-1.3, and
there is at least some SDL-1.3 documentation on the old wiki (I should
know, I put it there), which hasn’t been copied to the new wiki. ?I
know a great deal of SDL-1.3 documentation will be ripped from
doxygen, but there is quite a bit that cannot be easily found in the
source code.


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org


-Sam Lantinga, Founder and President, Galaxy Gameworks LLC