SDL/LGPL Static Link Question (plus a little 1.3 question)

My 3D engine, dim3, is free open-source software. The code is always
available at google code. I’d like to make the executable as simple as
possible, therefore I’d like to statically link in SDL. From my reading
of the LGPL (which basically wants you to give a way for a newer version
of the library to be linked into your app) – and since my App is open
source – I should be OK, but I want to make sure.

Also, how usable is 1.3 at this point? If I’m going to go to the
trouble of engineering a static version, I’d rather do it to 1.3. I
would only be using older 1.2.x APIs (not counting any APIs that have
been replaced, of course, just nothing that is new in 1.3.) The biggest
reason for me to move up is to eliminate the main-replacement concept of
1.2.x, so if this isn’t ready yet it’s not worth it (yet.)

[>] Brian

Yes, if your app is licensed under a LGPL-compatible license, statically linking SDL in is just fine.________________________________

Subject: [SDL] SDL/LGPL Static Link Question (plus a little 1.3 question)

My 3D engine, dim3, is free open-source software. The code is always available at google code. I’d like to make the executable as simple as possible, therefore I’d like to statically link in SDL. From my reading of the LGPL (which basically wants you to give a way for a newer version of the library to be linked into your app) – and since my App is open source – I should be OK, but I want to make sure.

Also, how usable is 1.3 at this point? If I’m going to go to the trouble of engineering a static version, I’d rather do it to 1.3. I would only be using older 1.2.x APIs (not counting any APIs that have been replaced, of course, just nothing that is new in 1.3.) The biggest reason for me to move up is to eliminate the main-replacement concept of 1.2.x, so if this isn’t ready yet it’s not worth it (yet.)

I think you need to distribute a copy of the SDL source code (whenever
you’re distributing a compiled version):

“4. You may copy and distribute the Library (or a portion or
derivative of it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form
under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you accompany
it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code”
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/lgpl-2.1.html--
Sylvain

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 11:28:12AM -0700, Mason Wheeler wrote:

Yes, if your app is licensed under a LGPL-compatible license, statically linking SDL in is just fine.

Subject: [SDL] SDL/LGPL Static Link Question (plus a little 1.3 question)

My 3D engine, dim3, is free open-source software. The code is always available at google code. I’d like to make the executable as simple as possible, therefore I’d like to statically link in SDL. From my reading of the LGPL (which basically wants you to give a way for a newer version of the library to be linked into your app) – and since my App is open source – I should be OK, but I want to make sure.

Also, how usable is 1.3 at this point? If I’m going to go to the trouble of engineering a static version, I’d rather do it to 1.3. I would only be using older 1.2.x APIs (not counting any APIs that have been replaced, of course, just nothing that is new in 1.3.) The biggest reason for me to move up is to eliminate the main-replacement concept of 1.2.x, so if this isn’t ready yet it’s not worth it (yet.)

Also, how usable is 1.3 at this point? ?If I’m going to go to the trouble of engineering a static version, I’d rather do it to 1.3. ?I would only be using older 1.2.x APIs (not counting any APIs that have been replaced, of course, just nothing that is new in 1.3.) ?The biggest reason for me to move up is to eliminate the main-replacement concept of 1.2.x, so if this isn’t ready yet it’s not worth it (yet.)

IMHO, if you are willing to pull the latest version from svn 1.3 is
very usable. There are some rough edges that are actively being worked
on. I would pull it, build it, and test it. If it works for you, then
use. My feeling is that it is most likely to work for you. If it
doesn’t, and you file a bunch of bug reports, then your testing will
have helped get it ready.

Bob PendletonOn Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Brian Barnes wrote:

[>] Brian

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

±----------------------------------------------------------