SDL_Mixer : Clicking noise in music after loop

Hi guys,

We’re having another subtle issue, this time with SDL_Mixer. We have a
24-second, 44.1 KHz stereo ogg loop which we play as music with
Mix_PlayMusic(pChunk, 0) to make it loop indefinitely.

At least on Windows, when the music loops, we start hearing a quick clicking
noise on top of the music, which never goes away. Since the first pass
sounds perfect and the ogg sounds perfect in, say, mplayer, I guess it’s a
SDL_Mixer issue.

Is this a known problem? Does it ring any bells for anyone?

Thanks,
–Gabriel

Yes, I believe this was fixed last week for the upcoming release:
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/SDL_mixer-1.2.9.zip

(binaries can be found in http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/SDL-1.2-mingw32.zip)On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Gabriel Gambetta wrote:

Hi guys,

We’re having another subtle issue, this time with SDL_Mixer. We have a
24-second, 44.1 KHz stereo ogg loop which we play as music with
Mix_PlayMusic(pChunk, 0) to make it loop indefinitely.

At least on Windows, when the music loops, we start hearing a quick clicking
noise on top of the music, which never goes away. Since the first pass
sounds perfect and the ogg sounds perfect in, say, mplayer, I guess it’s a
SDL_Mixer issue.

Is this a known problem? Does it ring any bells for anyone?

Thanks,
–Gabriel


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org


-Sam Lantinga, Founder and President, Galaxy Gameworks LLC

Thanks, Sam. Unfortunately, this didn’t fix the issue. I’ll put together a
simple test case and report back.

–GabrielOn Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 1:20 AM, Sam Lantinga wrote:

Yes, I believe this was fixed last week for the upcoming release:
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/SDL_mixer-1.2.9.zip

(binaries can be found in http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/SDL-1.2-mingw32.zip)

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Gabriel Gambetta wrote:

Hi guys,

We’re having another subtle issue, this time with SDL_Mixer. We have a
24-second, 44.1 KHz stereo ogg loop which we play as music with
Mix_PlayMusic(pChunk, 0) to make it loop indefinitely.

At least on Windows, when the music loops, we start hearing a quick
clicking
noise on top of the music, which never goes away. Since the first pass
sounds perfect and the ogg sounds perfect in, say, mplayer, I guess it’s
a
SDL_Mixer issue.

Is this a known problem? Does it ring any bells for anyone?

Thanks,
–Gabriel


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org


-Sam Lantinga, Founder and President, Galaxy Gameworks LLC


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

Hi,

I had this problem too.
What I did as a fix, was to play music 1 time,
and then check for music end then play again 1 time.

JeZ+Lee
SLNTHERO at aol.com
www.SilentHeroProductions.com

Gabriel Gambetta wrote:> Thanks, Sam. Unfortunately, this didn’t fix the issue. I’ll put

together a simple test case and report back.

–Gabriel

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 1:20 AM, Sam Lantinga <slouken at libsdl.org <mailto:slouken at libsdl.org>> wrote:

Yes, I believe this was fixed last week for the upcoming release:
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/SDL_mixer-1.2.9.zip

(binaries can be found in
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/SDL-1.2-mingw32.zip)

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Gabriel Gambetta <mystml at adinet.com.uy <mailto:mystml at adinet.com.uy>> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> We're having another subtle issue, this time with SDL_Mixer. We
have a
> 24-second, 44.1 KHz stereo ogg loop which we play as music with
> Mix_PlayMusic(pChunk, 0) to make it loop indefinitely.
>
> At least on Windows, when the music loops, we start hearing a
quick clicking
> noise on top of the music, which never goes away. Since the
first pass
> sounds perfect and the ogg sounds perfect in, say, mplayer, I
guess it's a
> SDL_Mixer issue.
>
> Is this a known problem? Does it ring any bells for anyone?
>
> Thanks,
> --Gabriel
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> SDL mailing list
> SDL at lists.libsdl.org <mailto:SDL at lists.libsdl.org>
> http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org
>
>



--
       -Sam Lantinga, Founder and President, Galaxy Gameworks LLC
_______________________________________________
SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org <mailto:SDL at lists.libsdl.org>
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

Hi,

I had this problem too.
What I did as a fix, was to play music 1 time,
and then check for music end then play again 1 time.

JeZ+Lee
SLNTHERO at aol.com
www.SilentHeroProductions.com

Hi,

I’ve seen this problem too, and this work around works for me too. (that
is, wait until the music is not busy, then play again).

It’s also been reported a number of times on the list (and pygame list).
However, I’m not sure if it’s in bugzilla or not.

cheers,On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Jesse Palser wrote:

Great, thanks!

Could you report this as a bug in bugzilla and attach the test case there?
http://bugzilla.libsdl.org/On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Gabriel Gambetta wrote:

Thanks, Sam. Unfortunately, this didn’t fix the issue. I’ll put together a
simple test case and report back.

–Gabriel

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 1:20 AM, Sam Lantinga <@slouken> wrote:

Yes, I believe this was fixed last week for the upcoming release:
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/SDL_mixer-1.2.9.zip

(binaries can be found in http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/SDL-1.2-mingw32.zip)

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Gabriel Gambetta wrote:

Hi guys,

We’re having another subtle issue, this time with SDL_Mixer. We have a
24-second, 44.1 KHz stereo ogg loop which we play as music with
Mix_PlayMusic(pChunk, 0) to make it loop indefinitely.

At least on Windows, when the music loops, we start hearing a quick
clicking
noise on top of the music, which never goes away. Since the first pass
sounds perfect and the ogg sounds perfect in, say, mplayer, I guess it’s
a
SDL_Mixer issue.

Is this a known problem? Does it ring any bells for anyone?

Thanks,
–Gabriel


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org


? ? ? ?-Sam Lantinga, Founder and President, Galaxy Gameworks LLC


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org


-Sam Lantinga, Founder and President, Galaxy Gameworks LLC

hi,

bug reported here:

http://bugzilla.libsdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=846

cu,

hello,

in the bug report Sam is asking for someone to reproduce… however I
currently don’t have access to a windows machine…

“”“Can you reproduce this with the snapshot DLLs here:
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/SDL-1.2-mingw32.zip
”""

anyone else able to help test for this bug?

cu,On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Ren? Dudfield <@Rene_Dudfield> wrote:

hi,

bug reported here:

http://bugzilla.libsdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=846

cu,