SDL_Mixer Native Midi playback errors

I just got the following bug report:

Midi files output sound but also an extremely loud and repetitive noise. This does not generate an error.

Confirmed that midi files play correctly on the same system without this noise using various media
players. Using onboard sound, Realtek High Definition Audio @ 24 bit and 48khz. Default midi
synthesizer is the standard
Roland GM/GS®. Some junk must be getting in the audio buffer. It also
sounds like the beginning of tracks are being cutoff and not fed into
the buffer.

I’m not able to reproduce this on my end, but what I do hear is that most MIDI files play at double
speed, and at the end of the track, instead of smoothly and seamlessly looping back to the
beginning, there’s approximately one second of “dead air” with a few pops and clicks before
restarting.

Either way, something seems to be very wrong with SDL_Mixer’s native_midi_win32 driver.
Anyone out there who knows more about MIDI than I do that might be able to track this down?

After some more testing, it turns out that SDL_Mixer isn’t playing anything back at double speed.? The MIDI files were really that fast; I was just used to hearing them played back at 50% speed from a different game engine.? (Something that SDL_Mixer unfortunately can’t do yet.)? So now I’m left with a bug report that I can’t reproduce at all.? Anyone out there have any idea what might be going wrong?________________________________
Subject: [SDL] SDL_Mixer Native Midi playback errors

I just got the following bug report:

Midi files output sound but also an extremely loud and repetitive noise. This does not generate an error.

Confirmed that midi files play correctly on the same system without this noise using various media
players. Using onboard sound, Realtek High Definition Audio @ 24 bit and 48khz. Default midi
synthesizer is the standard
Roland GM/GS®. Some junk must be getting in the audio buffer. It also
sounds like the beginning of tracks are being cutoff and not fed into
the buffer.

I’m not able to reproduce this on my end, but what I do hear is that most MIDI files play at double
speed, and at the end of the track, instead of smoothly and seamlessly looping back to the
beginning, there’s approximately one second of “dead air” with a few pops and clicks before
restarting.

Either way, something seems to be very wrong with SDL_Mixer’s native_midi_win32 driver.
Anyone out there who knows more about MIDI than I do that might be able to track this down?

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org