SDL_mixer not playing sound effects - Tried to play a chunk with a bad frame

Hello SDL Forum,

I’m a new SDL programmer and I’m having a problem with the SDL_mixer. My music is playing but my sound effects are not. I’m using Ubuntu and just trying to work on a simple Galaga clone to learn SDL in my spare time.

My error comes when I try to activate a sound effect when the player shoots a laser. The code is as follows below.

// Create Instance Variable for the sound effect    
    Mix_Chunk *laserShoot = NULL;
    laserShoot = Mix_LoadWAV("assets/laserShoot.wav");
    if (laserShoot == NULL)
    {
        printf("[FAILURE] - Failed to laserShoot sound effect! SDL_mixer Error:%s\n", Mix_GetError());
        success = false;
    }

The Mix_GetError() prints the error “Mix_PlayChannel: Tried to play a chunk with a bad frame” and I don’t know what that means exactly. I have done some online searches but I haven’t found much information on this specific sound.

I do initialize Mix_OpenAudio() as follows in my start up function

// Initialize SDL_mixer
if (Mix_OpenAudio(44100, MIX_DEFAULT_FORMAT, 2, 1024) < 0)
{
    printf("[FAILURE] - SDL_mixer could not be initialized! SDL Error: %s\n", Mix_GetError());
    success = false;
}

I don’t know what the “Bad frame” means and I don’t see a lot of information on it online. The laserShoot.wav file is very small it’s a 44 byte file, is the file too small to work with? Any help or clarification would be appreciated.

Hello, try to check your wav file. You can also convert it to MP3 in order to see the difference, but I think your audio file may need to be checked.

1 Like

Thank you. After some help from another from I found out that my audio file is broken and that’s basically what the error is saying. It turns out I had to recreate my audio file in Audacity.