Sdl_ttf links to a 'deprecated' technology

hello,
as ridiculous as it may sound, our application was rejected from the
mac app store with the following motivation

This is particularly important for the link to the

/usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib, as linking against X11 frameworks is
itself a violation of the guidelines:

       2.24 Apps that use deprecated or optionally installed

technologies (e.g., Java, Rosetta) will be rejected

On the other hand, we found some users that didn’t have x11 installed
and thus resulted in a crash of our application.
Would it be possible to modify the xcode project file to either link
statically freetype or to place it under an @rpath magic (kinda like
sdl_mixer does)

Vittorio

That’s quite funny since even CoreText is using freetype library :wink: :wink:

However you’d better not link against the one in X11 directory, static library is a way to go, or simply include your own freetype.dylib in your App bundle.On 12.2.2011, at 13:39, Vittorio G. wrote:

hello,
as ridiculous as it may sound, our application was rejected from the
mac app store with the following motivation

This is particularly important for the link to the
/usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib, as linking against X11 frameworks is
itself a violation of the guidelines:

      2.24 Apps that use deprecated or optionally installed

technologies (e.g., Java, Rosetta) will be rejected

On the other hand, we found some users that didn’t have x11 installed
and thus resulted in a crash of our application.
Would it be possible to modify the xcode project file to either link
statically freetype or to place it under an @rpath magic (kinda like
sdl_mixer does)

Vittorio


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org


Pavel Kanzelsberger


E-Mail: pavel at kanzelsberger.com
Jabber: kanzelsberger at jabber.org, ICQ: 20990633

Eric restructured the SDL_ttf project to link dynamically with Freetype.
I’ve asked him to fix this.

Thanks!On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 4:39 AM, Vittorio G. <vitto.giova at yahoo.it> wrote:

hello,
as ridiculous as it may sound, our application was rejected from the
mac app store with the following motivation

This is particularly important for the link to the
/usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib, as linking against X11 frameworks is
itself a violation of the guidelines:

      2.24 Apps that use deprecated or optionally installed

technologies (e.g., Java, Rosetta) will be rejected

On the other hand, we found some users that didn’t have x11 installed
and thus resulted in a crash of our application.
Would it be possible to modify the xcode project file to either link
statically freetype or to place it under an @rpath magic (kinda like
sdl_mixer does)

Vittorio


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org


-Sam Lantinga, Founder and CEO, Galaxy Gameworks

neat! where can i get a preview of his work? :)On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Sam Lantinga wrote:

Eric restructured the SDL_ttf project to link dynamically with Freetype.
I’ve asked him to fix this.

Thanks!

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 4:39 AM, Vittorio G. <vitto.giova at yahoo.it> wrote:

hello,
as ridiculous as it may sound, our application was rejected from the
mac app store with the following motivation

? ?This is particularly important for the link to the
/usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib, as linking against X11 frameworks is
itself a violation of the guidelines:

? ? ? ? ? 2.24 Apps that use deprecated or optionally installed
technologies (e.g., Java, Rosetta) will be rejected

On the other hand, we found some users that didn’t have x11 installed
and thus resulted in a crash of our application.
Would it be possible to modify the xcode project file to either link
statically freetype or to place it under an @rpath magic (kinda like
sdl_mixer does)

Vittorio


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org


? ? -Sam Lantinga, Founder and CEO, Galaxy Gameworks


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

The individual repos are here (I’m actually doing a bunch of iOS/Xcode
fixes, but this freetype thing is related):

http://hg.assembla.com/sdl_ttf-ios-xcode
http://hg.assembla.com/freetype_ios_xcode

The directories must be next to each other with the correct directory
names because I use Xcode cross-project dependencies.

Or instead, I also setup a ‘super repo’ that uses the subrepos feature
of Mercurial, so you can just pull that and everything should
hopefully go to the right place so you don’t have to think about it.
Though this contains SDL and the other satellites since I’ve been
doing iOS stuff that involves them.

hg clone http://hg.assembla.com/sdl-satellites-subrepos

Thanks,
EricOn 2/12/11, Vittorio G. <vitto.giova at yahoo.it> wrote:

neat! where can i get a preview of his work? :slight_smile:


Beginning iPhone Games Development
http://playcontrol.net/iphonegamebook/