Serious regressions

I just rebuilt SDL.dll. My old DLL has a timestamp of 12/11/09, so it’s been a while. I had to update my header import unit because the names of SDL_RenderRect and SDL_RenderLine had changed.

Then I ran the program, and things looked like crap. All my sprites had their colorkeys showing, translucency, set by SDL_SetTextureAlphaMod, was not working at all (everything remained 100% opaque), and for whatever reason, every other frame the original background image would reappear, which means it’s not getting cleared properly. None of this happened on the previous build.

I’ll look into it some and see what I can find, but… ugh! Does anyone have any idea what’s changed since December that could have broken all those things? Using SDL 1.3 on Windows 7, with the OpenGL renderer.

Hi,

just to let you know since I last I checked SDL_SetTextureAlphaMod
wasn’t even implemented in GL renderer. Maybe it was there before, but
it never worked for me.

Anyway I have a small patch for GL renderer to get this function
working if you’re interested.

PavelOn 14.4.2010, at 16:27, Mason Wheeler wrote:

I just rebuilt SDL.dll. My old DLL has a timestamp of 12/11/09, so
it’s been a while. I had to update my header import unit because
the names of SDL_RenderRect and SDL_RenderLine had changed.

Then I ran the program, and things looked like crap. All my sprites
had their colorkeys showing, translucency, set by
SDL_SetTextureAlphaMod, was not working at all (everything remained
100% opaque), and for whatever reason, every other frame the
original background image would reappear, which means it’s not
getting cleared properly. None of this happened on the previous
build.

I’ll look into it some and see what I can find, but… ugh! Does
anyone have any idea what’s changed since December that could have
broken all those things? Using SDL 1.3 on Windows 7, with the
OpenGL renderer.

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

Pavel Kanzelsberger

E-Mail: pavel at kanzelsberger.com
Jabber: kanzelsberger at jabber.org, ICQ: 20990633

Yeah, I just found that myself. Apparently it’s always just said return(0). Which makes me wonder, why was it working before? Was I getting some other renderer somehow?

And yeah, if your patch works, please post it. :)> ----- Original Message -----

Subject: Re: [SDL] Serious regressions

Hi,

just to let you know since I last I checked SDL_SetTextureAlphaMod wasn’t even implemented in GL renderer. Maybe it was there before, but it never worked for me.

Anyway I have a small patch for GL renderer to get this function working if you’re interested.

Pavel

Yeah, I just found that myself. Apparently it’s always just said return(0). Which makes me wonder, why was it working before? Was I getting some other renderer somehow?

And yeah, if your patch works, please post it. :slight_smile:

On further examination, it appears that the only renderer that has SetTextureAlphaMod implemented at all is the software renderer! (Which would probably explain why I was redlining one core on what ought to have been a fairly painless render job. Now it’s down to 60%, which is more reasonable.)

Now I just have to figure out why I’m seeing all the color keys and why double-buffering is all screwed up.>----- Original Message ----

It seems to be implemented in software renderer, so you was probably using that one instead of OpenGL :slight_smile:

Since I have my own texture rendering routines, I will try to make some working SDL patch for you and send it.

PavelOn 14.4.2010, at 16:57, Mason Wheeler wrote:

----- Original Message ----

Hi,

just to let you know since I last I checked SDL_SetTextureAlphaMod wasn’t even implemented in GL renderer. Maybe it was there before, but it never worked for me.

Anyway I have a small patch for GL renderer to get this function working if you’re interested.

Pavel

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org

It seems to be implemented in software renderer, so you was probably using that one instead of OpenGL :slight_smile:

Apparently. But now, with the new build, if I try to use the software renderer instead of the GL renderer, I get an access violation when calling SDL_SelectRenderer. Still trying to figure out what’s going on…>----- Original Message ----

It should work fine. The return 0 just means that there’s no
additional work other than setting the texture flags that needs to be
done.

You can test this with testsprite2 --cyclealpha, which I just did and
saw that it’s broken. :slight_smile:

I’ll take a look tomorrow night if you haven’t figured it out already.

Thanks!On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Mason Wheeler wrote:

Yeah, I just found that myself. ?Apparently it’s always just said return(0). ?Which makes me wonder, why was it working before? ?Was I getting some other renderer somehow?

----- Original Message ----

Hi,

Pavel

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org

-Sam Lantinga, Founder and President, Galaxy Gameworks LLC