Smoothscroll deformed

David,
I just downloaded your binary version of smoothscrool and it appears to be quite deformed on the edges, as
it were seen in prospective. Is that wanted/normal? Can I just have a REAL 2D scroll using openGL?

CRV?ADER/KY

David,
I just downloaded your binary version of smoothscrool and it appears to be quite deformed on the edges, as
it were seen in prospective. Is that wanted/normal?

Sounds weird… Deformed in what way? Can you send me a screenshot off the list?

Can I just have a REAL 2D scroll using openGL?

Yes - when everything’s working properly… :slight_smile:

BTW, does Kobo Deluxe/glSDL demonstrate the same problem? (I’d recommend 0.4pre8 - but note that there will be some flickering, as OpenGL with h/m pageflipping isn’t fully supported yet. Must perform all updates twice for that to work - or just repaint the whole screen every frame, which is not how it works normally.)

//David

.---------------------------------------
| David Olofson
| Programmer

david.olofson at reologica.se
Address:
REOLOGICA Instruments AB
Scheelev?gen 30
223 63 LUND
Sweden
---------------------------------------
Phone: 046-12 77 60
Fax: 046-12 50 57
Mobil:
E-mail: david.olofson at reologica.se
WWW: http://www.reologica.se

`-----> We Make Rheology RealOn Fri, 21/06/2002 10:35:35 , CRV?ADER/KY wrote:

22/06/02 16.48.16, David Olofson<david.olofson at reologica.se> wrote:

David,
I just downloaded your binary version of smoothscrool and it appears to be quite
deformed on the edges, as

it were seen in prospective. Is that wanted/normal?

The screenshot wouldn’t give you the idea. It’s deformed like a spherical surface (with a
very big diameter - let’s say 10 times the screen or more)

BTW, does Kobo Deluxe/glSDL demonstrate the same problem? (I’d recommend 0.4pre8 - but
note that there will be some flickering, as OpenGL with h/m pageflipping isn’t fully
supported yet. Must perform all updates twice for that to work - or just repaint the whole
screen every frame, which is not how it works normally.)

Kobo Deluxe 0.4pre8 CRASHES (“Failed to open display!”), both in GL and in normal version.>On Fri, 21/06/2002 10:35:35 , CRV?ADER/KY <@CRUSADER_KY> wrote:

[…]

The screenshot wouldn’t give you the idea. It’s deformed like a spherical surface (with a

Uh oh. Does this happen in windowed OpenGL mode as well?

If, not, it sounds just as if your monitor doesn’t have a configuration for the mode used. Most monitors will present a slightly rounded image when a default mode config is used.

That said, can any OpenGL hacker around here think of any way of accidentally setting up a view matrix that produces a “rounded” view of the world?

BTW, does Kobo Deluxe/glSDL demonstrate the same problem? (I’d recommend 0.4pre8 - but
note that there will be some flickering, as OpenGL with h/m pageflipping isn’t fully
supported yet. Must perform all updates twice for that to work - or just repaint the whole

Kobo Deluxe 0.4pre8 CRASHES (“Failed to open display!”), both in GL and in normal version.

This is even more strange… (Never managed to get it to fail, except in OpenGL mode with a broken OpenGL setup.)

First, try to replace the SDL DLL with some fresh version. (I’m not even sure what version the one I’m using is… I just grabbed one that always seems to work on the machines I have access to. heh)

If that doesn’t have any effect, please check kobodl.cfg, and make sure the following keys are set as below:

#— Video settings -------------------------
fullscreen
videodriver 0
width 640
height 480
depth 0
buffer 2

If that doesn’t work, try changing “fullscreen” to “nofullscreen”, and/or width and height to 320 and 240 respectively. You can also try setting “buffer” to 0 or 1. (Single or double, that is.)

//David

| David Olofson
| Programmer

Address:
REOLOGICA Instruments AB
Scheelev?gen 30
223 63 LUND
Sweden
Mobil:

`-----> We Make Rheology RealOn Thu, 27/06/2002 19:20:54 , CRV?ADER/KY wrote:

Uh oh. Does this happen in windowed OpenGL mode as well?

If, not, it sounds just as if your monitor doesn’t have a configuration for the mode used. Most monitors will present a slightly rounded image when a default mode
config is used.

That said, can any OpenGL hacker around here think of any way of accidentally setting up a view matrix that produces a “rounded” view of the world?

Kobo Deluxe 0.4pre8 CRASHES (“Failed to open display!”), both in GL and in normal version.

This is even more strange… (Never managed to get it to fail, except in OpenGL mode with a broken OpenGL setup.)

First, try to replace the SDL DLL with some fresh version. (I’m not even sure what version the one I’m using is… I just grabbed one that always seems to work on the
machines I have access to. heh)

If that doesn’t have any effect, please check kobodl.cfg, and make sure the following keys are set as below:

#— Video settings -------------------------
fullscreen
videodriver 0
width 640
height 480
depth 0
buffer 2

If that doesn’t work, try changing “fullscreen” to “nofullscreen”, and/or width and height to 320 and 240 respectively. You can also try setting “buffer” to 0 or 1.
(Single or double, that is.)

I’m using my Matrox PowerDesk monitor configuration. However, some configs aren’t supported at all (because I’m too lazy to configure them and because no app
ever uses them).
These are my WORKING configs:

640x480x8
640x480x16
640x480x32
800x600x8
800x600x16
800x600x32
1024x768x8
1024x768x16
1024x768x32

If some app tries to run at a different resolution (i.e. 640x480x24, or 320x240) it will probably crash. May this be my case?

[…]

I’m using my Matrox PowerDesk monitor configuration.

Matrox… Just make sure you’re using one of their latest drivers, ok? :slight_smile:

However, some configs aren’t supported at all (because I’m too lazy to configure them and because no app
ever uses them).

640x480x8
640x480x16
640x480x32
800x600x8
800x600x16
800x600x32
1024x768x8
1024x768x16
1024x768x32

If some app tries to run at a different resolution (i.e. 640x480x24, or 320x240) it will probably crash. May this be my case?

No, not unless the included SDL lib is broken. If you request an unsupported resolution, SDL will simply grab the next higher one and give you a centered “window”.

Anyway, Kobo Deluxe will use 640x480 by default. (Or rather, that’s what the config included in the Win32 binary package is set to.)

//David

| David Olofson
| Programmer

Address:
REOLOGICA Instruments AB
Scheelev?gen 30
223 63 LUND
Sweden
Mobil:

`-----> We Make Rheology RealOn Thu, 27/06/2002 22:12:42 , CRV?ADER/KY wrote:

I’m using my Matrox PowerDesk monitor configuration.

Matrox… Just make sure you’re using one of their latest drivers, ok? :slight_smile:

Of course I am. And I’m using DirectX 8.1, too.

However, some configs aren’t supported at all (because I’m too lazy to configure them and because no app
ever uses them).

640x480x8
640x480x16
640x480x32
800x600x8
800x600x16
800x600x32
1024x768x8
1024x768x16
1024x768x32

If some app tries to run at a different resolution (i.e. 640x480x24, or 320x240) it will probably crash. May
this be my case?

No, not unless the included SDL lib is broken. If you request an unsupported resolution, SDL will simply grab
the next higher one and give you a centered “window”.

Anyway, Kobo Deluxe will use 640x480 by default. (Or rather, that’s what the config included in the Win32
binary package is set to.)

All videogames I have work fine in 640x480, too.
So… any suggestions?

Nope, not right now. Must be something with my OpenGL initialization - something that’s in smoothscroll as well as glSDL - but I have no clue as to what it might be.

//David

| David Olofson
| Programmer

Address:
REOLOGICA Instruments AB
Scheelev?gen 30
223 63 LUND
Sweden
Mobil:

`-----> We Make Rheology RealOn Sat, 29/06/2002 00:51:59 , CRV?ADER/KY wrote:

All videogames I have work fine in 640x480, too.
So… any suggestions?