SDL 1.3 now banned from the iPhone?

Understand A lot of us iphone developers are starting to think of android as a second home. You will see a lot of ports of apps from iphone to android.

No its not easy, but with all Android vs iphone differences there are enough similarities to test concepts we can’t on iphone yet. Augmented reality started on Android, it quickly moved to iphone when Apple decided they were missing an important tech sector.

The android developer community may be infant but we can take what we’ve learned on the iphone and apply it. And that is something Apple WILL have to live with.

Nathaniel J Fries wrote:>

michelleC wrote:

Already working on that and I think I have Sam’s blessing.

I doubt a fork will be necessary the iphone portions of 1.3 will never fly with iphone developers. Hopefully when I do publish some actual library mods we can sit done as a community decide what we like and what I need to change.

As I’ve mentioned to Sam, right now the priority is to get the app done, when I have that completed, I plan to look at my mods and see what would be appropriate as a permanent 1.3 patch and what won’t work.

That’s good to hear.

michelleC wrote:

But understand that sdl and the iphone WILL never be a perfect match, the Iphone UI methodology will just never allow that.

I don’t know if you can class iphone as with any other phones other than maybe android. And the real gaming platform is ipad not iphone. Its a beautiful device to work with.

a proper Android port of SDL wouldn’t be easy, but I can’t say it’d be as intolerable as you’ve found SDL on iPhone to be.
Android, graphically, is just the Linux framebuffer with a nice-looking GUI toolkit written in Java. The hardest part of SDL on Android would probably be working with JNI.

michelleC wrote:

You are totally off base about hackers, I know from experience some very good and important developers who don’t know a thing about how OS’s work, that is ok, trouble is there are people out there like me who can probably hack any system I wanted to if I actually wanted to. I’ve had to do some of that legally for a client so I know.

Oh, I never disagreed completely. I’m definitely more at risk than a person with experience in breaking system security.
But I’ve yet to encounter anything ever since I’ve had a PC which only I accessed, despite regularly visiting shady websites and downloading shady files.
I think a level of technical knowledge just above what’s currently widely considered as “competence” is all that’s required to protect one’s self, unless their system is actually the sole target of an attacker.

michelleC wrote:

You don’t get it, apple doesn’t want competition from other platform, its not hard to see were a cross compiler could be easier to use and adapted more widely then the more official languages. In a way that could be bad for future development because the 3rd parties may not be able to catch up with an agressive development cycle.

I don’t see why they couldn’t add a Pascal/Delphi compiler to the mix, at the very least. It isn’t competition from another platform, it’s just the easiest way for a developer more familiar with Pascal than the C family to make applications for the iPhone.
Mono, too, why not? Java’s been pretty much standard in mobile device development for quite awhile now, and Mono does basically the same thing as Java, so why would any mobile device NOT want Java/Mono runtimes?

michelleC wrote:

So what, that hurts the 3rd paties not Apple, but they want to micromanage everything. Frankly, I think if Android starts getting a bigger share of the development arena these policies will change overnight. Its happened before in other industries and it will happen here.
[…]
I know of one company with a million dollars invested in using monotouch. It is not a small company, that much I will say.

Android won’t really get that until they provide better facilities for native developers, though, I’m afraid.
I know I’m still not developing for the Android, although I’d love to, because they simply don’t provide enough native APIs to make anything decent without using JNI (which looks like a royal pain to me, and requires me to learn not only Android’s APIs but a more complicated and confusing third-party API…).
Once I can know when a call is coming, access the menu at the top, use system widgets, and all that – I may actually make something. Until then, my loathing of some of the minor points of programming in Java will stop me from writing anything in Java, even for a platform I consider valuable…

I don’t see why they couldn’t add a Pascal/Delphi compiler to the mix, at the very least. It isn’t competition from another platform, it’s just the easiest way for a developer more familiar with Pascal than the C family to make applications for the iPhone.
Mono, too, why not? Java’s been pretty much standard in mobile device development for quite awhile now, and Mono does basically the same thing as Java, so why would any mobile device NOT want Java/Mono runtimes?

because they suck? at least according to apple managers
most likely they saw at the current situation in mobile system
development and didn’t like it, and as in apple philosophy they
’‘reinvented’’ it
and by looking at the number of sales they’re being proven right, so
there’s little that we can do

then again i believe that they didn’t include pascal only because no
one (read: no relevant portion of the market) programs in that
language any more, but they couldn’t care less as this was a move
purely against java/mono/flash (at least i hope so)

just my 2 cents
Vittorio

Still this is not the way to deal with developers. This should have been
communicated from day 1, not in the middle of
the game.

The thing is, most Apple developers will complain like hell, but at the end
of the day they will convert their applications
shut off.

Why do you say they suck? I don’t see any major issue with .Net/Java on the
mobile space. The major complain, being
fragmentation, also happens with native platforms, because each mobile is
completely different.

Now Pascal, you are right. The last time I coded anything in Pascal was back
in 1996, while taking "Introduction to Programming"
classes and it was ISO Pascal, nothing to do with Turbo Pascal/Delphi
variants. Nowadays as I replied on a previous thread, I don’t see any
Pascal/Delphi code running in enterprises, which isn’t tied to a legacy
application.

I don’t even know if there is still any Portuguese university that still
teaches Pascal.–
Paulo

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Vittorio G. <vitto.giova at yahoo.it> wrote:

I don’t see why they couldn’t add a Pascal/Delphi compiler to the mix, at
the very least. It isn’t competition from another platform, it’s just the
easiest way for a developer more familiar with Pascal than the C family to
make applications for the iPhone.
Mono, too, why not? Java’s been pretty much standard in mobile device
development for quite awhile now, and Mono does basically the same thing as
Java, so why would any mobile device NOT want Java/Mono runtimes?

because they suck? at least according to apple managers
most likely they saw at the current situation in mobile system
development and didn’t like it, and as in apple philosophy they
’‘reinvented’’ it
and by looking at the number of sales they’re being proven right, so
there’s little that we can do

then again i believe that they didn’t include pascal only because no
one (read: no relevant portion of the market) programs in that
language any more, but they couldn’t care less as this was a move
purely against java/mono/flash (at least i hope so)

just my 2 cents
Vittorio

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org