Start of a tutorial

I didn’t mean to over hype it. You took my direct3d remark out of context.

I said, an xbox port (which I understand there is already) would be cool to talk about but I doubt sdl could compete against direct 3d>

And yes I think if the iphone community knew more about sdl they would find more uses for it.

Many of us are doing or planning to do dual platform development, and anything that makes it easier to go between iphone, android and maybe palm is worth exploring.

nfries88 wrote:>

KHMan wrote:

michelleC wrote:

I like the showcase idea, and I would be willing to contribute to an
iphone section.
I am already putting together a tutorial.

However I know little and don’t have time to explore other platforms,
although I think an xbox showcase would be sweet , not sure sdl could
complete with direct3d.
[snip]

[ related stuff ]

Slow down, cut the hype. SDL does not compete against any of those
other libraries. You consider your application and you just pick
the best tool given a set of circumstances. In a social media
culture, there is an unconscious tendency to overdo the hype. I
don’t think SDL’s cause will be helped by use of hype.

I second this notion. Drawing too much attention to SDL may be a bad thing.
However, I certainly think it’s fine when opening the idea of using SDL to a community that probably have heard little to nothing of it before (iPhone devs) to show successful use cases on other platforms. Going beyond that, and especially comparing it to other APIs to a community that knows near-nothing about SDL, could be disastrous to SDL’s reputation.

SDL provides no 3D APIs. It uses 3D APIs for accelerated rendering, but it doesn’t provide them at all – the developer using SDL must provide his own 3D engine.
Comparing it to Direct3D or OpenGL would be harmful and wrong for that reason. Comparing it to Allegro or SFML, however, would be fair – but iPhone devs have probably heard about as much of those as they have of SDL, perhaps even less (since SFML is fairly young and neither have an iPhone port yet), so it’s probably a bad idea.

If I were you, I would just stick to teaching how to use SDL effectively** on the iPhone, and also providing code for generic SDL use-cases. There aren’t really any SDL 1.3 examples or tutorials out there, as you’ve mentioned, so it’d be great for you to provide them. Especially with the perspective of a newcomer to SDL, you might be able to explain the API’s use more effectively to another newcomer than an SDL “expert” could.

** - in a way that would seem familiar to an iPhone developer

Isn’t there java on these platforms? A complete virtual machine. Can’t beat
that for portability.> Many of us are doing or planning to do dual platform development, and

anything that makes it easier to go between iphone, android and maybe palm
is worth exploring.

nfries88 wrote:

KHMan wrote:

michelleC wrote:

Quote:

I like the showcase idea, and I would be willing to contribute to an
iphone section.
I am already putting together a tutorial.

However I know little and don’t have time to explore other platforms,
although I think an xbox showcase would be sweet , not sure sdl could
complete with direct3d.
[snip]

[ related stuff ]

Slow down, cut the hype. SDL does not compete against any of those
other libraries. You consider your application and you just pick
the best tool given a set of circumstances. In a social media
culture, there is an unconscious tendency to overdo the hype. I
don’t think SDL’s cause will be helped by use of hype.

I second this notion. Drawing too much attention to SDL may be a bad thing.
However, I certainly think it’s fine when opening the idea of using SDL to
a community that probably have heard little to nothing of it before (iPhone
devs) to show successful use cases on other platforms. Going beyond that,
and especially comparing it to other APIs to a community that knows
near-nothing about SDL, could be disastrous to SDL’s reputation.

SDL provides no 3D APIs. It uses 3D APIs for accelerated rendering, but it
doesn’t provide them at all – the developer using SDL must provide his own
3D engine.
Comparing it to Direct3D or OpenGL would be harmful and wrong for that
reason. Comparing it to Allegro or SFML, however, would be fair – but
iPhone devs have probably heard about as much of those as they have of SDL,
perhaps even less (since SFML is fairly young and neither have an iPhone
port yet), so it’s probably a bad idea.

If I were you, I would just stick to teaching how to use SDL effectively**
on the iPhone, and also providing code for generic SDL use-cases. There
aren’t really any SDL 1.3 examples or tutorials out there, as you’ve
mentioned, so it’d be great for you to provide them. Especially with the
perspective of a newcomer to SDL, you might be able to explain the API’s use
more effectively to another newcomer than an SDL “expert” could.

** - in a way that would seem familiar to an iPhone developer

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

And yes I think if the iphone community knew more about sdl they would find
more uses for it.

Don’t get me wrong, i really like what you are doing, however that
statement is wrong
SDL will surely be popular because it will allow many ports of already
existing games, but i sincerely doubt that iphone developers will leave the
simplicity of objc and the documentation of cocoatouch
anyways i can’t wait to read the following chapters of your tutorial, i do
like it

bye
VittorioOn Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 5:20 AM, michelleC wrote:

Vittorio G. wrote:> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 5:20 AM, michelleC <@michelleC (@michelleC)> wrote:

And yes I think if the iphone community knew more about sdl they would find more uses for it.

Don’t get me wrong, i really like what you are doing, however that statement is wrong
SDL will surely be popular because it will allow many ports of already existing games, but i sincerely doubt that iphone developers will leave the simplicity of objc and the documentation of cocoatouch
anyways i can’t wait to read the following chapters of your tutorial, i do like it

bye
Vittorio

Only time will tell, but I know a lot of developers who will want to give it a try.

As far as I know and I have the only working port of ffplay and that is because of sdl.

And there are quite a few developers who will try that in itself.

For many developers revenue is the major thing, and if there is a library or code that will give someone an advantage than they will embrace it.

There is an awlful lot of existing sdl code. on other platforms.

Bottom line there is enough mystery about sdl at this time that it excites that crowd.

Someone here described the iphone environment has a lawless frontier , like in the pioneer days, that is very accurate and what makes it exciting.

I really got heavy into some tasks for work so haven’t been able to work on any demos but hope to resume the tutorial and demos this week.

At the request of some other developers I’ve agreed to put out a water down version of my video player so that will probably take presidence, but that is sdl code.

Vittorio G. wrote:> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 5:20 AM, michelleC <@michelleC (@michelleC)> wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, i really like what you are doing, however that statement is wrong
SDL will surely be popular because it will allow many ports of already existing games, but i sincerely doubt that iphone developers will leave the simplicity of objc and the documentation of cocoatouch
anyways i can’t wait to read the following chapters of your tutorial, i do like it

bye
Vittorio

Only time will tell, but I know a lot of developers who will want to give it a try.

As far as I know and I have the only working port of ffplay and that is because of sdl.

For many developers revenue is the major thing, and if there is a library or code that will give someone an advantage than they will embrace it.

Bottom line there is enough mystery about sdl at this time that it excites that crowd.

Someone here described the iphone environment has a lawless frontier , like in the pioneer days, that is very accurate and what makes it exciting.

I really got heavy into some tasks for work so haven’t been able to work on any demos but hope to resume the tutorial and demos this week.

At the request of some other developers I’ve agreed to put out a water down version of my video player so that will probably take presidence, but that is sdl code.

Today as part of an ongoing tutroial series into sdl / sdk integration for the iphone , we start something new.

StreamX is our application to play content from upnp servers, it is nearing completion. StreamX requires content to exist on upnp media servers.

We thought it might be fun to write a simple open source demo app showing the integration of sdl within the iphone uikit framwork.

We call this webstream. And we will over the next few weeks be detailing and expanding webstream.

In addition to providing a solid base for an sdl / uikit integration, webstream maybe the only application we can play any content from a hulu’s user queue.

Several communities are interested in both the code and the tutorial, and these will be cross posted across these.

The source will be hosted on our svn server as weill as the ffmpeg4ipone google site.

The flow has already been added to our tutorial flow page here.

http://web.me.com/cannonwc/Site_4/Blog/Entries/2010/2/3_A_Walk_Thru_of_a_Typical_Use_Case.html

michelleC wrote:

Today as part of an ongoing tutroial series into sdl / sdk integration for the iphone , we start something new.

StreamX is our application to play content from upnp servers, it is nearing completion. StreamX requires content to exist on upnp media servers.

We thought it might be fun to write a simple open source demo app showing the integration of sdl within the iphone uikit framwork.

We call this webstream. And we will over the next few weeks be detailing and expanding webstream.

In addition to providing a solid base for an sdl / uikit integration, webstream maybe the only application we can play any content from a hulu’s user queue.

Several communities are interested in both the code and the tutorial, and these will be cross posted across these.

The source will be hosted on our svn server as weill as the ffmpeg4ipone google site.

The flow has already been added to our tutorial flow page here.

http://web.me.com/cannonwc/Site_4/Blog/Entries/2010/2/3_A_Walk_Thru_of_a_Typical_Use_Case.html

Looks like the code finally made it to the svn.

http://99.139.107.194/svn/test/sdldml/WebStreamx/src/

michelleC wrote:

Vittorio G. wrote:

bye
Vittorio

More content samples posted> > On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 5:20 AM, michelleC <@michelleC (@michelleC)> wrote:

michelleC wrote:

michelleC wrote:

Vittorio G. wrote:

bye
Vittorio

More content samples posted

More samples have been posted.> > > On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 5:20 AM, michelleC <@michelleC (@michelleC)> wrote:

michelleC -

i’d absolutely LOVE to get to an example iphone/ipad xcode project (i’ve been trying to follow your blog(s) )…
is the streamX project available anywhere? that svn link seems to be not working…

thanks!

pete

just to follow up - i was able to find the webstreamx project on the ffmpeg4iphone site:

http://code.google.com/p/ffmpeg4iphone/

(in case anyone else is looking).

-pete

iampeteandrews wrote:

just to follow up - i was able to find the webstreamx project on the ffmpeg4iphone site:

http://code.google.com/p/ffmpeg4iphone/

(in case anyone else is looking).

-pete

Sorry

That is a very small precursor to streamX, but you might learn something from it.

Last time that svn server crashed, I just didn’t bother with it. I’ve been meaning to transfer that to a better machine, the 1st gen mac mini just couldn’t take the number of download requests it was getting.

all these projects were written more than an year ago and a lot has changed. I know streamPad and possibly webstreamx will run on iphone 0s 4.2
but I haven’t tried it in a while.

I’ve been involved with a lot of contract hire video/audio work on the iphone and ipad (yes using sdl on iphone and Android) so I just didn’t have time.

I supposed if there is really some interest I may look at putting that svn up again.

Sorry

MichelleC