UTF-16 clipboard

Oh. Looks like I was the one who misunderstood it then. Yeah, there’s some sense to that, but it’s a more difficult position to defend. And honestly, that’s not something I would use SDL for in the first place.

A lot of what’s in SDL is extremely duplicative of standard, expected functionality in virtually all standard libraries and existing application-development frameworks. If you want to copy text to the clipboard and you don’t like SDL’s way of doing so, do it your language’s way instead. If your language is cross-platform enough to care about using SDL for cross-platform development, its clipboard implementation is going to be too, so there’s really no downside to it.

What are you talking about? I use C++98 (compiling with Digital Mars), and C++ has no standard clipboard interface.

If you only care about Windows anyway and can’t live with the overhead of converting between UTF-8 and UTF-16, just use the WinAPI directly

1 Like

Of course I can do a Win32 clipboard, though that is not cross-platform. The thing is that the conversions should only be involved when the actual external interface uses a different format than the app’s internal format.