What's wrong with the wiki?

Moving to Github it kinda broke the wiki for a bit, but then it got fixed up and was in good shape and up to date for a while. The devs pledged to keep it up to date.

But then at some point afterwards the SDL2 wiki just… went sideways. A bunch of stuff disappeared from it seemingly overnight, and what’s left seems to have been re-organized in a less-than-great way. The links to the documentation for stuff like SDL_RenderGeometry() vanished, even though the actual wiki pages for them were still there (SDL_RenderGeometry() finally got re-linked to).

The SDL2 wiki being out of date sometimes was understandable, as the devs are super busy and once SDL3 came along well of course SDL2’s wiki wasn’t gonna be a priority, and the whole wiki being in a complete-but-kinda-messed-up state for a while after moving to Github is also understandable, but it’s definitely weird that a big chunk of the SDL2 wiki just up and disappeared after they got it back up and working.

1 Like

Sorry, but no… I remember when they supposedly fixed it and my first check immediately showed that it was not. I didn’t want to bother anymore after the tone of some replies I saw. The issue got ‘fixed’ but the fix was not even tested. If SDL3 is developed in the same way…

One thing missing is the one, big list of all SDL functions, which would be helpful — raylib has something like this called a cheatsheet. Very useful thing, I wish SDL2 and SDL3 had these.

The wiki has a big list of all SDL functions, but because there are so many, and because the way the functions are named means related functions aren’t all grouped together when listed alphabetically (which SDL3 sadly continues), it’s hard to actually find what you need.

I meant a complete list of functions in the form of full headers of these functions (with return value and list of parameters) and with a comment containing a short description of their purpose. So the same as the cheatsheet for raylib looks like (using monospace font and syntax highlighting).

It would be good if such a list not only included function headers, but also if the names of these functions and SDL-specific types were links, so that you could conveniently go to its full description.