Direction installing SDL on linux (ubuntu)

Hello all,
I am new to SDL and pretty new to linux. I am getting compile errors

-------------- Build: Debug in firstSDL (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler)---------------

g++ -o bin/Debug/firstSDL obj/Debug/main.o …/…/…/usr/lib64/libSDL-1.1.so.0 …/…/…/usr/lib64/libSDL-1.2.so.0 …/…/…/usr/lib64/libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.4
obj/Debug/main.o: In function `SDL::SDL(unsigned int)’:

/home/jrm/Documents/cprojects/firstSDL/main.cpp:52: undefined reference to SDL_CreateWindowAndRenderer' obj/Debug/main.o: In functionSDL::~SDL()’:
/home/jrm/Documents/cprojects/firstSDL/main.cpp:59: undefined reference to SDL_DestroyWindow' /home/jrm/Documents/cprojects/firstSDL/main.cpp:60: undefined reference toSDL_DestroyRenderer’
obj/Debug/main.o: In function SDL::draw()': /home/jrm/Documents/cprojects/firstSDL/main.cpp:67: undefined reference toSDL_SetRenderDrawColor’
/home/jrm/Documents/cprojects/firstSDL/main.cpp:68: undefined reference to SDL_RenderClear' /home/jrm/Documents/cprojects/firstSDL/main.cpp:71: undefined reference toSDL_RenderPresent’
/home/jrm/Documents/cprojects/firstSDL/main.cpp:89: undefined reference to SDL_SetRenderDrawColor' /home/jrm/Documents/cprojects/firstSDL/main.cpp:90: undefined reference toSDL_RenderFillRect’
/home/jrm/Documents/cprojects/firstSDL/main.cpp:91: undefined reference to `SDL_RenderPresent’
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minute(s), 0 second(s))
10 error(s), 0 warning(s) (0 minute(s), 0 second(s))

I have installed SDL the linux way and all went fine. I am using Code:Blocks (most recent version 17.1)

I have pointed the linker to the following libraries libSDL-1.1.so.0, libSDL-1.2.so.0 libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.4

I have included the SDL.h file via the code blocks include file dialog.

I have read up on using the sdl-config to help the compile but honestly did not figure out how that helps.

It seems like I am missing a library as it can not find some routines.

I am sure you experienced people are so tired of installation questions by now.

If someone could point me in the right directions it would be appreciated.

Thanks

gcc -o myfirstSDL myfirstSDL.c sdl-config --cflags --libs

Looks like you’re trying to use SDL2, but are linking against SDL1.2

http://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/01_hello_SDL/index.php has tutorials
for setting up SDL2 for your project on different operating systems and
different IDEs, incl. Code Blocks on Linux

1 Like

Thank you Daniel,
I have it installed correctly and compiling. Thanks for that link.
~Joe

Great, have fun with SDL! :slight_smile: