Easiest Games to Make in SDL2, C++ and Visual Studio

Hello Everyone

I’m new to this forum and English is not my native language so i’m sorry if i make some mistakes.
I’m a 22 years old student currently studying Programming and I have an appointment where I have to make a Game using SDL2, C++ and Visual Studio, and I’m having a really hard time doing it.

I’m hoping you guys can help me decide on the Game that I should make. I’m looking for something as simple as possible, but the program I have to make has some rules and it’s making the process of deciding quite hard for me. Any tip for begginers is welcome.

The rules are as follows if anyone is interested:

• The game has to have a Title Screen, a Game Screen and a Game Over Screen minimum. You have to be able to Restart the game if you get to Game Over.
  • Fully Object-Oriented, No functions or variables that are not within an object allowed.
  • Every Object has to be Instanced with pointers and new-delete.
  • 2 Object “Class Families” (Class that inherit from others) minimum related to the game actors (players, enemies, objects, maps…)

So far, I have a program to test things out that has SDL2 and SDL2_image installed, the console initiates correctly and a 2D Map and a Player are displayed. The player can be moved with WASD, but it doesn’t collide with anything.

Thanks in advance for the help, I really appreciate it.

Pong, Breakout, Tetris.

I agree with icculus’ suggestions. Pong is a very good game to start with.

1 Like

Or Dr. Mario (if you know this, Nintendo often bundled it with Tetris)

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the help! I’ll try making Tetris and see how it goes.

2 Likes