Installing SDL with mingw

Hi,

I tried installing SDL 1.2.14 on mingw but when I downloaded the development package like I read in the tutorial there was no “./configure”, all I could do is “make”. Not even “make install”.

When I tried to compile a simple script, it couldn’t find the “SDL/SDL.h” file.

I am also not sure if it even works properly since I couldn’t configure and make install it.

How do I solve it?

Thanks.

I think the tuturial meant the development libraries package for mingw from the 1.2 download page.

And if you want the full monty (configure, make install) grab the sourcecode of 1.2.14 and use that.

http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php there you have the source download and it does contain configure.

if you download the development library package for mingw SDL-devel-1.2.14-mingw32.tar.gz then you need to extract it and put into the mingw folder structure where it fits (I haven’t used mingw for some years now). If you are using msys (which you should if you want to use configure stuff) the content of SDL-devel-1.2.14-mingw32.tar.gz just needs to go into c:\msys (I think).

I’m an avid mingw32/msys user - just follow the linux building-from-source
instructions, and it should work just fine :slight_smile:
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install
-AlexOn Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 2:39 AM, Dominus wrote:

http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php there you have the source download
and it does contain configure.

if you download the development library package for mingw
SDL-devel-1.2.14-mingw32.tar.gz then you need to extract it and put into
the mingw folder structure where it fits (I haven’t used mingw for some
years now). If you are using msys (which you should if you want to use
configure stuff) the content of SDL-devel-1.2.14-mingw32.tar.gz just needs
to go into c:\msys (I think).

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

It’s actually not strange at all, you just didn’t fine read everything :wink:
The development library package is a pre compiled package that just needs to be placed into mingw/msys. Hence no configure, everything is already compiled.
The source is for compiling.
As for your error, look into configure.log, it’s often more forthcoming on what the error is, or in which line of configure the error happened (and the line gives a better clue, too).
Do orher things compile via configure/make? Is your msys installation up to date and working?

Yea I did that. The other download only gives you a SDL.dll. I got the dev/source. But there’s no configure file?

Strangely enough the devel-mingw32 doesn’t contain the configure. So I downloaded the source and it does. But I get an error:

“checking math.h presense… ./configure: fork: Permission Denied”

I have all the admin rights and what not. It should be able to, if its one of those “admin” things.

Oh, I must have read different parts than :slight_smile:

Yea my msys is up to date. I often configure and make other things on it. Works fine.

But if the devel-mingw32 is sufficient too than I already have installed it I guess. :slight_smile:

But I still get errors with “-lSDL -lSDLmain”

“…/mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lSDL”

And the same error for “-lSDLmain”