The game Oolite uses SDL3 with OpenGL. It works with HDR on Windows. So far I haven’t got it to work on Linux (Kubuntu 26.04). Is it possible to get HDR on Linux with SDL3 and OpenGL?
Edit: I got over excited to give an affirmative. On further reading it is not looking so good for OpenGL.
While SDL3_GPU and 2D renderer both have the ability to render HDR10 as long as it is enabled on your system (Desktop Environment), and OpenGL can render in HDR10 given the correct texture is allocated, I am currently reading that SDL does not provide a way to allocate an HDR10 texture for OpenGL. However it is possible in Vulkan?
I don’t own an HDR screen so I can’t test this, and there’s a chance that my information is out of date, but it’s what I’m getting at the moment.
(Then again, you have it working on Windows, I don’t know why it would work there an not in Linux, but seeing as there are so many different Desktop Environments and compositors to deal with is it a situation of “too many different implementations of the same standard”?)
I’m posting this reply to pop the thread one time, I am not satisfied with my own answer, does anyone have solid information?
I did extensive testing and could not get it to work. This website suggests it is impossible: GitHub - DrawboardLtd/SdlVulkanRenderer: SDL3 + Vulkan enabled rendering surface that is AOT compatible. · GitHub. “SDL3 + keep OpenGL: replaces only GLFW windowing/input. Medium effort. But HDR is still blocked because SDL3’s OpenGL renderer hardcodes SDL_COLORSPACE_SRGB.”
However, there is this which I haven’t tried: