Kiss_sdl - Simple universal GUI widget toolkit for SDL

It is not that i didn’t back down. I removed all the links to that file so it was not accessible to anyone. But this was not enough, he/she demanded that i remove it. I tried to find out how i can delete that file. I also never said that i don’t want to delete the file, i clearly wrote that i cannot delete that file. Then they sent me an email from GitHub, saying that there is no way how i can delete it, it was a file uploaded for comments and such, it was not a repository file. Then i requested GitHub to delete the file and asked them to reply to me whether they will remove the file, so far GitHub has not responded. There is nothing more i can do, at least by now.

1 Like

For the record, my threat wasn’t at all vague. It was very specific, in fact: I mentioned the Streisand Effect one paragraph up. To anyone who knows what that is, it’s pretty specific and directly applicable to this situation. And anyone who doesn’t really needs to learn before they go around doing something like this on the Internet.

I don’t think any amount of warning will actually act as a control of the Streisand Effect, if that was the intention. I also think such an effect is limited by the significance of the information. In this case, the files are of negligible significance.

Jonny D

Could you be more clear please? Did you want to say that my project is of negligible significance, or that the justadot’s files were of negligible significance? The latter is not relevant in that matter at all, doesn’t lessen the consequences of what happened at all.

My comment was only in regards to the Streisand Effect pertaining to justadot’s files. I didn’t imply anything further.

sorry, I thought it was my code. A GitHub employee who replied to my request about my project1 code to be taken down said this other link were forks from my project. I really didn’t know , didn’t look at the link as I assumed he knew what he was talking about.

Don’t be mad at Eric he was the one who has helped me the most and I’m able to port to blurrr alone next time.
Won’t be back at this forum at least as it seems too full of drama , funny I thought men didn’t like creating unnecessary drama ?

Thanks also Daniel and Jonny for your help.

justadot, when you look at things better, then you may notice that you create drama. The drama is not outside of you, but you create it.

So you pulled the trigger on a gun without verifying what it was aiming at. But we’re supposed to think it’s all OK because someone else said it was aimed right?

Because that’s what a DMCA takedown is. It’s a weapon. It’s a destructive act whose only purpose is to delete content. You don’t appear to realize what a serious thing you did. There’s a reason DMCA takedowns are filed under penalty of perjury: when you point that gun at the wrong target, innocent people get hurt!

This is a very quiet, drama-free place for the most part. There wasn’t any around here until someone went legal and attacked a popular community project. And “men” weren’t the ones who did that.

But men will circle the wagons when under attack, because the next attack could be on one of the rest of us and we’d want the others to help us out. That’s something you ought to keep in mind, for future reference.

Am I going to get in trouble for the fork take down ? I didn’t know ! It was a first mistake, thought it was a fork from my project like the GitHub employee said.

I’m going to be that one post that just gets ignored, but let’s leave the attack person X because of Y out of the SDL community. The repo has been forked, nothing was actually lost, everything is fine.

I think we all agree the DMCA thing was a mistake - maybe a big one, but it’s fine. Obviously there’s some degree of inexperience and newness, so let’s not sour the entire community over it.

There is no point on having a fight when all we’re doing is rehashing what’s already happened, and especially when some of this conversation is very threatening.

Goes back to his quiet hole.

My project was taken down because of “misidentification” and i’m not going to think it’s ok. The same i think the other people whose forks were taken down, and who had nothing to do with it whatsoever. This is not ok.

Never mind. Deleted my last post. They did not take it down, I just got another email from GitHub in which they said they can’t take it down as I need to identify each fork individually etc. Will leave it now.

actsl, just in case you didn’t know, you can submit a DMCA counter notice. Github will restore the taken-down code after 10-14 days if whoever submitted the original DMCA notice doesn’t take legal action. I’d recommend reading the page on github and/or other reputable resources in case I’m not entirely correct.

1 Like

This, and several other things said here, are completely unacceptable.

I’m disappointed about how everyone acted here, and twice as disappointed that everyone seems to think that they were the reasonable party.

I regret that I tuned out of the discussion thinking there was a robust converstion about Android build environments going on and not whatever this turned out to be. I don’t want to play nanny, and I’ll thank you to not put me in this position again.

I’m not asking anyone to apologize here, but if this conversation continues, I will lock the thread and ban the appropriate users. So let’s all agree to drop it.

If you want to keep discussing kiss_sdl here, please feel free to use this topic for it’s original intention. I’m going to lock the other topic, as any further discussion value there is probably a total loss.

Do better next time, everyone.

1 Like

Thank you for helping me. I certainly did it immediately after the claim. This is done under oath, as a witness in a court of law. It is like being in a court of law, every word can be used against you, and so is the person who made the notice. And at all that, my project is still down.

Sorry. I suppose that was a bit over the top.

The thing is, I don’t believe in DMCA takedowns. The basic concept is blatantly unconstitutional, and in practice they tend to be abused for stupid crap like this, rather than their intended purpose of stopping piracy, far too often. So when someone came and filed a false takedown against a valued member of our community, knocking the project offline… I kinda saw red.

I’ll try to do better in the future.

1 Like

Thank you for your support Mason, and i agree with you, but as it was said, please anyone don’t talk about that in this thread no more.

Btw, GitHub now refused to delete the file which caused all the DMCA claim, because as GitHub confirmed i cannot remove it, so i were in an impossible situation, requested to do which i no way couldn’t do, and getting hurt because i didn’t do what was requested. As i said, i removed all links to that file and made it unavailable to anyone days before the claim was made, but that was not enough for the claimant, he/she insisted deleting it.

I remind you again here in the end, where hopefully everyone can see, that the new repository of kiss_sdl is now at https://github.com/actsl/kiss_sdl2 .

This repository has the exact copies of the master and testing branch of the original repository, the android branch, i am not sure whether this is the latest version. GitHub promised to un-disable the original repository today, yet it was not done, the repository is still disabled and no response from GitHub even to my reminder today. GitHub checked the new repository, found that it contains no copyrighted material, and refused to disable it, in spite that it was asked to disable that repository too. Sorry for any inconvenience, thank you all who still use kiss_sdl, i also hope that you have fun using it.
-----------------------
kiss_sdl - Simple generic GUI widget toolkit for SDL2 https://github.com/actsl/kiss_sdl

1 Like

Changes were made to kiss_makefile and README.md for SDL2-2.0.5 in both master and testing branches, for these who had trouble building with SDL2-2.0.5 MinGW version before. No changes made for Visual Studio, so make the changes written in README.md to build with SDL2-2.0.5.
-----------------------
kiss_sdl - Simple generic GUI widget toolkit for SDL2 https://github.com/actsl/kiss_sdl

Takedown of the repository appeared to be a mistake, the issue attachment file is deleted, the kiss_sdl repository is now back at https://github.com/actsl/kiss_sdl . The repository is good and up to date.
-----------------------