Licensing question - dynamically linking to sdl in an npapi plugin

Hi,
I am writing an NPAPI/gecko SDK plugin for firefox to embed an Ogre3d window in a plugin, and I am using SDL for window management/Input handling I have dynamically linked the SDL library to my plugin and it will not load without the DLL being available in the same directory - am I right in assuming that this means I am able to use SDL in my project under the terms of the LGPL or are there other considerations to take into account?

thanks for any replys.
Rob.

I am writing an NPAPI/gecko SDK plugin for firefox to embed an Ogre3d window in a plugin, and I am using SDL for window management/Input handling I have dynamically linked the SDL library to my plugin and it will not load without the DLL being available in the same directory - am I right in assuming that this means I am able to use SDL in my project under the terms of the LGPL or are there other considerations to take into account?

Yes, you can use SDL under the terms of the LGPL.

See ya,
-Sam Lantinga, Founder and President, Galaxy Gameworks LLC

Thankyou for your help Sam, its very much appreciated> ----- Original Message -----

To: "A list for developers using the SDL library. (includes SDL-announce)"

Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2009 11:26 PM
Subject: Re: [SDL] licensing question - dynamically linking to sdl in
annpapi plugin

I am writing an NPAPI/gecko SDK plugin for firefox to embed an Ogre3d
window in a plugin, and I am using SDL for window management/Input
handling I have dynamically linked the SDL library to my plugin and it
will not load without the DLL being available in the same directory - am
I right in assuming that this means I am able to use SDL in my project
under the terms of the LGPL or are there other considerations to take
into account?

Yes, you can use SDL under the terms of the LGPL.

See ya,
-Sam Lantinga, Founder and President, Galaxy Gameworks LLC

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

Hi,
I am writing an NPAPI/gecko SDK plugin for firefox to embed an Ogre3d
window in a plugin,

It’s a bad idea to use SDL 1.2 for a web plugin, the problem is that SDL
only allows one window per process and netscape plugins use the same process
for every instance of the plugin. So you’ll crash for sure if the browser
display two or more instances of your plugin at once.On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Rob Hine wrote:

Bye,
Gabry

Sorry for the late reply, only just picked up the e-mail but its a very good point, a possible workaround for my situtation, would be using Ogre3d’s Window management and ‘embedding’ SDL into the Ogre3d window, i am using SDL for the window management currently but it is just as easy to use the environment argument to embed SDL into the ogre3d window, would this still cause problems?

I am very interested in any information you can provide - I will be looking into this workaround for the moment, but if anything sets off alarm bells with that - particularly in regards to event management and Keyboard/Mouse/Joystick Input i am all ears, the plugin is being designed for only one instance to be in use at a time, but ugly crashes caused by my misunderstanding are best avoided :slight_smile:

thanks for your input and taking the time to reply Gabriele you have saved me a lot of head scratching that the crash would have inevitably caused.

Rob.> ----- Original Message -----

To: A list for developers using the SDL library. (includes SDL-announce)
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 11:02 AM
Subject: Re: [SDL] licensing question - dynamically linking to sdl in annpapi plugin

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Rob Hine wrote:

Hi, 
I am writing an NPAPI/gecko SDK plugin for firefox to embed an Ogre3d window in a plugin, 

It’s a bad idea to use SDL 1.2 for a web plugin, the problem is that SDL only allows one window per process and netscape plugins use the same process for every instance of the plugin. So you’ll crash for sure if the browser display two or more instances of your plugin at once.

Bye,
Gabry

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org

Sorry for the late reply, only just picked up the e-mail but its a very good point, a possible workaround for my situtation, would be using Ogre3d’s Window management and ‘embedding’ SDL into the Ogre3d window, i am using SDL for the window management currently but it is just as easy to use the environment argument to embed SDL into the ogre3d window, would this still cause problems?

I am very interested in any information you can provide - I will be looking into this workaround for the moment, but if anything sets off alarm bells with that - particularly in regards to event management and Keyboard/Mouse/Joystick Input i am all ears, the plugin is being designed for only one instance to be in use at a time, but ugly crashes caused by my misunderstanding are best avoided :slight_smile:

thanks for your input and taking the time to reply Gabriele you have saved me a lot of head scratching that the crash would have inevitably caused.

Rob.> ----- Original Message -----

To: A list for developers using the SDL library. (includes SDL-announce)
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 11:02 AM
Subject: Re: [SDL] licensing question - dynamically linking to sdl in annpapi plugin

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Rob Hine wrote:

Hi, 
I am writing an NPAPI/gecko SDK plugin for firefox to embed an Ogre3d window in a plugin, 

It’s a bad idea to use SDL 1.2 for a web plugin, the problem is that SDL only allows one window per process and netscape plugins use the same process for every instance of the plugin. So you’ll crash for sure if the browser display two or more instances of your plugin at once.

Bye,
Gabry

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org