Moving to MacOS Big Sur, I have encountered a number of issues with my SDL2-powered gamedev library. The same issues don’t occur on other platforms (Windows, Linux).
The current version is shipping the factory SDL2 (v2.0.7); at the moment I’m trying to transition to relying on package managers (vcpkg / brew / apt).
1, As of Big Sur and SDL2 v2.0.14 (which is the only version brew will serve),
SDL_GL_CreateContext() no longer gives me a context.
- I’m creating the window with
SDL_WINDOW_OPENGL | SDL_WINDOW_SHOWN.
- It doesn’t seem to be the matter of requesting a particular GL profile (was asking for 3.3 originally);
- The same thing happens if I use the SDL2.framework package of the same version;
- This works with earlier versions (<=v2.0.12 .framework) and on other platforms, however I didn’t try v2.0.14 pre-Big Sur (so that might be a red herring).
2, More alarmingly, I cannot seem to build release (‘Profile’ in XCode) anymore: any #include of “SDL.h” → “SDL_cpuinfo.h” → “immintrin.h” → “mmintrin.h” → “math.h” brings about compile errors concerning the use of undeclared identifiers
__builtin_ia32_packsswb etc. (presumably Clang / LLVM builtins?)
- I’ve found the same with v2.0.12 and v2.014 of SDL2, on BS. I’ll work backward, though I’m confident that this is an issue with the Apple compiler.
Any pointers / ideas would be appreciated. I’ll update the thread with my findings. Thanks in advance.