Multi-mouse, multi-window focus broken (SVN-trunk, windows)

Trying again, since my last message elicited no response (see “Mouse focus broken on Windows in SVN trunk”).

Multi-window, multi-mouse focus is broken in SVN-trunk. I believe that I’ve identified a few of the trouble-spots in SDL_win32events.c:

SDL_SetMouseFocus() is only called to clear the windowID, never to set it. Also, the new mouse-event code (using WM_INPUT instead of WM_MOUSEMOVE/WM_LBUTTONDOWN/etc.) doesn’t set the mouseID (eg: ‘data->videodata->mouse = i’); as a result, the WM_MOUSELEAVE handler chooses the wrong mouse to clear the mouse focus of.

Is anyone working on this stuff? I see that ‘slouken’ commited to SVN a couple of days ago. My impression is that major progress has been made over the last months, but there is still a lot of work necessary to push past the goal line.

I’m attaching a patch that seems to improve the issues, but it doesn’t fix them completely. Here’s an example of a problem that still exists: if you stop moving mouse1 outside of any window and start moving mouse2, then mouse2 properly receives enter/leave events when you move between window1 and window2. You can switch mice as many times as you want, and it works. But if you stop using mouse1 while it has window1 in focus, then when you start moving mouse2 between windows, you only get enter/leave events from one of the windows. Still, it’s a big improvement over the previous behavior.

BTW, is there a rough timeline for milestones to hit before SDL-1.3 is released? I haven’t come across one. What is the plan for tracking/fixing these issues?

Cheers,
Josh

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed…
Name: multi-mouse-focus.patch
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 1237 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: http://lists.libsdl.org/pipermail/sdl-libsdl.org/attachments/20081102/8be1bc18/attachment.obj

Multi-window, multi-mouse focus is broken in SVN-trunk. I believe that I’ve identified a few of the trouble-spots in SDL_win32events.c:

Thanks, I’ll take a look in a few days.

Is anyone working on this stuff? I see that ‘slouken’ commited to SVN a couple of days ago. My impression is that major progress has been made over the last months, but there is still a lot of work necessary to push past the goal line.

Yep, I’m accepting patches and I’m going to try to take some vacation time
in the next month or so to do a full sweep of the current code.

BTW, is there a rough timeline for milestones to hit before SDL-1.3 is released? I haven’t come across one. What is the plan for tracking/fixing these issues?

There isn’t a timeline, other than a list of bugs in bugzilla. My personal
timeline is to try to get something that the public can use by the end of
January. To that end, I appreciate all the feedback like this, and I’ll be
diving into bugzilla as soon as things settle down a little bit. :slight_smile:

See ya!
-Sam Lantinga, Lead Software Engineer, Blizzard Entertainment

2008/11/5 Sam Lantinga

Multi-window, multi-mouse focus is broken in SVN-trunk. I believe that
I’ve identified a few of the trouble-spots in SDL_win32events.c:

Thanks, I’ll take a look in a few days.

Is anyone working on this stuff? I see that ‘slouken’ commited to SVN a
couple of days ago. My impression is that major progress has been made over
the last months, but there is still a lot of work necessary to push past the
goal line.

Yep, I’m accepting patches and I’m going to try to take some vacation time
in the next month or so to do a full sweep of the current code.

BTW, is there a rough timeline for milestones to hit before SDL-1.3 is
released? I haven’t come across one. What is the plan for tracking/fixing
these issues?

There isn’t a timeline, other than a list of bugs in bugzilla. My personal
timeline is to try to get something that the public can use by the end of
January. To that end, I appreciate all the feedback like this, and I’ll be
diving into bugzilla as soon as things settle down a little bit. :slight_smile:

See ya!
-Sam Lantinga, Lead Software Engineer, Blizzard Entertainment

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org