Multiple SDL windows or something else?

i want to create an full screen application that has 2 or 3 panels of home brew gui with the
majority of the area occupied by another “X Windows” application window - i.e. sort of an
window manager for X but not quite.

i’ve got the window manager bit nailed and i’m evaluating sdl to see if i can make it do what
i want.

it seems like the options i have are to create a full screen sdl window and somehow find it’s
window handle and use that to attach the other windows to instead of the one i currently
create. i limit the size of the windows to something smaller than the client area and fill the
rest of the space in with my gui.

alternatively, i can force my current window manager setup into a portion of the screen and
create some other frameless sdl windows - i think i need two - one for the task bar type gui
at the bottom and one for some other stuff at the side. however, so far, it looks like i can
only create one window - futher calls to sdl_setvideomode() only modify the current open
window - this feels like it’s the wrong way to go.

any comments or suggestions on how to proceed

thanks.

cal.

only create one window - futher calls to sdl_setvideomode() only modify the current open
window - this feels like it’s the wrong way to go.

Yes, it probably is. Somebody posted a hack to FLTK that has SDL rendering
into multiple FLTK windows, but you probably want to go with a different
toolkit.

See ya!
-Sam Lantinga, Software Engineer, Blizzard Entertainment