No fullscreen at QHDTV+

Hello all,

I am a SDL newbie using SDL with WinXP and a NVidia Quadro FX1700. The connected display device and the windows desktop are running at QHDTV+ (3840x2400) @ 33Hz. A tiny SDL application I wrote for creating a true color test image runs fine in a scalable windowed mode. Even maximizing this window works fine without a problem. But when using the fullscreen mode at QHDTV+, SDL_SetVideoMode() fails and SDL_GetError() returns:

No video mode large enough for 3840x2400

Thus I verified the available fullscreen video modes with SDL_ListModes() and the biggest video mode reported is just HDTV+ (1920x1200). Is this a limitation of SDL, DirectX or the NVidia driver? How can I further debug this issue?

Regards
Martin

DISCLAIMER:
Unless indicated otherwise, the information contained in this message is privileged and confidential, and is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above and others who have been specifically authorized to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and/or attachments is strictly prohibited. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. Furthermore, the company does not warrant a proper and complete transmission of this information, nor does it accept liability for any delays. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete the message. Thank you.

I don’t see any limitations in the SDL code. What does the windows
display settings control panel show?

You can also try out the PRERELEASE SDL 1.3 code, which uses a slightly
different codepath:
http://www.lisdl.org/tmp/SDL-1.3.zip

See ya!
-Sam Lantinga, Lead Software Engineer, Blizzard Entertainment

Sam,

The Windows display control panel shows 3840x2400x32bpp. As I said, the windowed stuff works fine with that resolution. Just fullscreen modes work only up to 1920x1200, which I have successfully tested with the same setup.

However, as I am currently using SDL 1.2.13 maybe 1.3 is worth a try, tomorrow… I’ll keep you updated.

Martin-----Original Message-----
From: sdl-bounces@lists.libsdl.org [mailto:sdl-bounces at lists.libsdl.org] On Behalf Of Sam Lantinga
Sent: Montag, 17. M?rz 2008 17:01
To: A list for developers using the SDL library. (includes SDL-announce)
Subject: Re: [SDL] No fullscreen at QHDTV+

different codepath:

See ya!

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

DISCLAIMER:
Unless indicated otherwise, the information contained in this message is privileged and confidential, and is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above and others who have been specifically authorized to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and/or attachments is strictly prohibited. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. Furthermore, the company does not warrant a proper and complete transmission of this information, nor does it accept liability for any delays. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete the message. Thank you.

I could not use SDL-1.3, since there seems to be no binary version available, yet. And I don’t want to spend the effort to make my system able to get the dll built.

However, I figured out, it’s not libsdl to blame for my problem: The highest display mode reported by EnumDisplaySettings() is 1920x1200.

Thus, either GDI or the NVidia driver plays a trick on me here.

Regards
From: sdl-bounces@lists.libsdl.org [mailto:sdl-bounces at lists.libsdl.org] On Behalf Of Bahlinger, Martin
Sent: Montag, 17. M?rz 2008 17:13

Sam,

The Windows display control panel shows 3840x2400x32bpp. As I said, the windowed stuff works fine with that resolution. Just fullscreen modes work only up to 1920x1200, which I have successfully tested with the same setup.

However, as I am currently using SDL 1.2.13 maybe 1.3 is worth a try, tomorrow… I’ll keep you updated.

Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: sdl-bounces@lists.libsdl.org [mailto:sdl-bounces at lists.libsdl.org] On Behalf Of Sam Lantinga

different codepath:

See ya!

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org

DISCLAIMER:

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org

DISCLAIMER:

have you tried the direct x driver?On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Bahlinger, Martin <martin.bahlinger at barco.com> wrote:

I could not use SDL-1.3, since there seems to be no binary version available, yet. And I don’t want to spend the effort to make my system able to get the dll built.

However, I figured out, it’s not libsdl to blame for my problem: The highest display mode reported by EnumDisplaySettings() is 1920x1200.

Regards
Martin

From: sdl-bounces at lists.libsdl.org [mailto:sdl-bounces at lists.libsdl.org] On Behalf Of Bahlinger, Martin
Sent: Montag, 17. M?rz 2008 17:13

Sam,

Martin

From: sdl-bounces at lists.libsdl.org [mailto:sdl-bounces at lists.libsdl.org] On Behalf Of Sam Lantinga

different codepath:

See ya!

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org

DISCLAIMER:

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org

DISCLAIMER:

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org

I just tried the SDL directx driver and got the same story, just modes available up to 1920x1200.

Interesting fact: Even the dxdiag fullscreen tests switch the output back to 1920x1200. I think I will have to try a different graphics cards and drivers.

Cheers
From: sdl-bounces@lists.libsdl.org [mailto:sdl-bounces at lists.libsdl.org] On Behalf Of Ren? Dudfield
Sent: Mittwoch, 19. M?rz 2008 23:32

have you tried the direct x driver?

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Bahlinger, Martin <@Bahlinger_Martin> wrote:

DISCLAIMER: