OpenGL v1.2+ and Windows

I have some simple (I hope) questions about OpenGL and M$ Windows I’m hoping somebody can answer. I know that Windows ships with version 1.1 of OpenGL on most of the OS’s currently in production. However, there are features contained in OpenGL v1.2+ that I would like to be able to eventually take advantage of. I find no support (code or docs) for these versions available on the MS website, and thus my questions:

1. What is required to develop code that makes use of v1.2 or greater of OpenGL on a Windows machine?

2. Who maintains those SDKs and where do you find them?

3. If you plan on installing your program which uses OpenGL v1.2+ on many client machines, would it be the installer’s job to install the updated libraries or would it be better to assume that the video drivers have already been installed by the client and simply test for the version required during install?

4. Which newer version of OpenGL would it be safe to assume that the majority of video drivers in production today support: 1.2, 1.3, 1.4?

5. Is SDL affected at all by using the different versions of OpenGL?

Sorry if this topic was beaten to death somewhere else, but I’m having a tough time finding/getting the info. Any replys would be gratefully appreciated.---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search

HI… Some question I might not be able to answer fully but I can other… Look below…

Church Punks! Truth Rebellion! Audio A!

First off lets say this… Only V1.1 is a software runtime… Meaning to use 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 you must have a OpenGL Video card with the correct drivers installed…

1. What is required to develop code that makes use of v1.2 or greater of OpenGL on a Windows machine?

As said above… To use V1.1 the user can download it off OpenGL Website (www.OpenGL.org)… Other wise they need to get a OpenGL supported video card and get the latest drives from the maker of the Video Card because the makers make there own OpenGL drivers…

1. Who maintains those SDKs and where do you find them?

v1.1 = www.OpenGL.org
v1.2, 1.3, 1.4 = Video Card Maker (If card is OpenGL supported)

1. If you plan on installing your program which uses OpenGL v1.2+ on many client machines, would it be the installer’s job to install the updated libraries or would it be better to assume that the video drivers have already been installed by the client and simply test for the version required during install?

Well if you want a Hugh installer and spend the time getting each and every video card driver that yes it is the installer’s job… Though, It is safe to assume that the user if playing a gam0e (or anything else) in OpenGL have the latest version of OpenGL is not just make sure they know that it they need it like another pro. made game (or anything).

1. Which newer version of OpenGL would it be safe to assume that the majority of video drivers in production today support: 1.2, 1.3, 1.4?

The matter is how new the video card is… I don’t have a video card that supports OpenGL 1.3 or 1.4 so I could use 1.2 but I use 1.1 (Never brother to update) If you can get by using 1.1 I would use it… Than every one can use your app. Though many people now have video cards the support 1.4 (Many new ones and some old ones) So this is a person matter. It is up to you on what you think most people will have…

1. Is SDL affected at all by using the different versions of OpenGL?

Yes and No! SDL is a library… It makes coding easier… But in the long run it really is compiling OpenGL commands… SDL I am sure (not positive) that it supports 1.4… If not just run OpenGL not using SDL and just use SDL and OpenGL together… (Use real OpenGL commands not the SDL OpenGl Commands but use SDL for every thing else). That was a bit confusing but I have to go now… If that confused you than I will reply later (tell me please) explain that better…

Sorry if this topic was beaten to death somewhere else, but I’m having a tough time finding/getting the info. Any replies would be gratefully appreciated.

I hoped that helped!,

Andrew

HI… Some question I might not be able to answer fully but I can other… Look below…

First off lets say this… Only V1.1 is a software runtime… Meaning to use 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 you must have a OpenGL Video card with the correct drivers installed…

As said above… To use V1.1 the user can download it off OpenGL Website (www.OpenGL.org)… Other wise they need to get a OpenGL supported video card and get the latest drives from the maker of the Video Card because the makers make there own OpenGL drivers…

v1.1 = www.OpenGL.org

1. If you plan on installing your program which uses OpenGL v1.2+ on many client machines, would it be the installer’s job to install the updated libraries or would it be better to assume that the video drivers have already been installed by the client and simply test for the version required during install?

Well if you want a Hugh installer and spend the time getting each and every video card driver that yes it is the installer’s job… Though, It is safe to assume that the user if playing a gam0e (or anything else) in OpenGL have the latest version of OpenGL is not just make sure they know that it they need it like another pro. made game (or anything).

1. Which newer version of OpenGL would it be safe to assume that the majority of video drivers in production today support: 1.2, 1.3, 1.4?

The matter is how new the video card is… I don’t have a video card that supports OpenGL 1.3 or 1.4 so I could use 1.2 but I use 1.1 (Never brother to update) If you can get by using 1.1 I would use it… Than every one can use your app. Though many people now have video cards the support 1.4 (Many new ones and some old ones) So this is a person matter. It is up to you on what you think most people will have…

Yes and No! SDL is a library… It makes coding easier… But in the long run it really is compiling OpenGL commands… SDL I am sure (not positive) that it supports 1.4… If not just run OpenGL not using SDL and just use SDL and OpenGL together… (Use real OpenGL commands not the SDL OpenGl Commands but use SDL for every thing else). That was a bit confusing but I have to go now… If that confused you than I will reply later (tell me please) explain that better…

Sorry if this topic was beaten to death somewhere else, but I’m having a tough time finding/getting the info. Any replies would be gratefully appreciated.

I hoped that helped!,

Andrew

Thank you, Andrew!

Andrew Balmos <SDL_Newsgroup at cox.net> wrote:HI… Some question I might not be able to answer fully but I can other… Look below…

v1.1 = www.OpenGL.org

I hoped that helped!,
Andrew---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

1. What is required to develop code that makes use of v1.2 or greater of
    OpenGL on a Windows machine?

Obviously, you’ll need a driver that supports v1.2, and you’ll need the
header files. I think you can get them (including proprietary extensions)
from the developers pages of at least NVidia. You could also download Mesa,
the latest version supports OpenGL 1.4. You might also find something on
http://www.opengl.org/
You don’t need any updated .libs because you’ll have to load the additional
functions dynamically anyway.

Partly answered above. Of course, the authoritative documentation for OpenGL
is the standard itself, which you can download from http://www.opengl.org/,
and the OpenGL extensions registry, which you can also find there.
The standard is a bit confusing to read at first, but once you do understand
it, it really is worth it.

1. If you plan on installing your program which uses OpenGL v1.2+ on many
    client machines, would it be the installer’s job to install the updated
    libraries or would it be better to assume that the video drivers have
    already been installed by the client and simply test for the version
    required during install?

I’d say that shipping and installing the drivers themselves is too
error-prone, and might even be illegal (according to some manufacturers’
licenses).
A test & warning on installation sounds just fine, though.

1. Which newer version of OpenGL would it be safe to assume that the
    majority of video drivers in production today support: 1.2, 1.3, 1.4?

Every graphics card since the original Geforce is capable of supporting
OpenGL 1.4. Drivers are a different issue, though. For example, ATI drivers
still report version 1.3 (even though they support all the extensions that
have been incorporated in 1.4, IIRC).
Because of this, you should use a slightly more flexible version checking
mechanism that looks for the OpenGL version and the corresponding GL
extensions.

No.

cu,
Nicolai
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQE/dW/rsxPozBga0lwRArTyAJ97RSPKUbud3xdLoeth8fmltj8WcgCeI1AP
/HukOTVr7VCucJhM5UwI3kc=
=v2r7
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----On Saturday 27 September 2003 03:56, Rob Neff wrote:

nothing!

nowhere!
    The only thing you need is the new *.h files take it
    http://tassadar.physics.auth.gr/~chameleon/OpenGL/OpenGL%20Includes%20&%20Libraries.tar.bz2

OpenGL is part of video drivers

OpenGL 1.4

Why not? Yes!

When OpenGL goes from 1.0 to 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.0 there are not changes. Only the addition of new things.
OpenGL is not as DirectX.

Bob… The information I gave it is off the OpenGL site it self… (well most of the questions) I suggest going to www.opengl.org and looking for the answers than you are 100% sure that you are right… We have some conflicting answers here… I know for a fact though v1.2, v1.3, and v1.4 is not software supported you must get the drivers from the video card maker and it is the video card makers choice to support any higher… Though it is dumb for them not too… you probly would not have a big problem with v1.4 but like I said if every thing you need is in v1.1 and it works OK for you I personally would use since EVERYONE (even people with out OpenGL support cards) can use your app.

Andrew
Church Punks! Truth Rebellion! Audio A!----- Original Message -----
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lib.sdl
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2003 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: OpenGL v1.2+ and Windows

First off lets say this... Only V1.1 is a software runtime... Meaning to use 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 you must have a OpenGL Video card with the correct drivers installed...

As said above... To use V1.1 the user can download it off OpenGL Website (www.OpenGL.org)... Other wise they need to get a OpenGL supported video card and get the latest drives from the maker of the Video Card because the makers make there own OpenGL drivers...

2. Who maintains those SDKs and where do you find them?

v1.1 = www.OpenGL.org

3. If you plan on installing your program which uses OpenGL v1.2+ on many client machines, would it be the installer's job to install the updated libraries or would it be better to assume that the video drivers have already been installed by the client and simply test for the version required during install?

Well if you want a Hugh installer and spend the time getting each and every video card driver that yes it is the installer's job... Though, It is safe to assume that the user if playing a gam0e (or anything else) in OpenGL have the latest version of OpenGL is not just make sure they know that it they need it like another pro. made game (or anything).

4. Which newer version of OpenGL would it be safe to assume that the majority of video drivers in production today support: 1.2, 1.3, 1.4?

The matter is how new the video card is... I don't have a video card that supports OpenGL 1.3 or 1.4 so I could use 1.2 but I use 1.1 (Never brother to update) If you can get by using 1.1 I would use it.. Than every one can use your app. Though many people now have video cards the support 1.4 (Many new ones and some old ones) So this is a person matter. It is up to you on what you think most people will have...

5. Is SDL affected at all by using the different versions of OpenGL?

Yes and No! SDL is a library... It makes coding easier... But in the long run it really is compiling OpenGL commands... SDL I am sure (not positive) that it supports 1.4... If not just run OpenGL not using SDL and just use SDL and OpenGL together... (Use real OpenGL commands not the SDL OpenGl Commands but use SDL for every thing else). That was a bit confusing but I have to go now... If that confused you than I will reply later (tell me please) explain that better...

Sorry if this topic was beaten to death somewhere else, but I'm having a tough time finding/getting the info.  Any replies would be gratefully appreciated.

I hoped that helped!, 

Andrew