Porting SDL to DOS

Hello, I am in the process of porting SDL to DOS. Would a DOS backend be considered for acceptance into the upstream project? If not, I will go on my merry way. If yes, implementation and process questions will follow. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am the current owner of the Catacomb game series. My goal is to port the games to modern platforms, but also preserve DOS compatibility. DOS support in SDL will be a huge win for me. I suspect it could be useful for others in the retro game community as well.

My in-progress port is built with a DJGPP cross-compiler. The video subsystem uses VESA BIOS Extensions for linear framebuffer support. I have some of the simpler drawing tests working (e.g. chessboard, spriteminimal, streaming), but I’ve still got a lot of work to do, including input subsystems.

Regards,
Jay

DOSBox is built on SDL IIRC. That would be amusing, to have SDL running on DOSBox, running on SDL…

DOSBox is built on SDL IIRC. That would be amusing, to have SDL running on DOSBox, running on SDL…

SDLception

to add more confusion: Dosbox is built on SDL 1.2, imagine SDL 2 running on DOSBx, running on SDL 1.2…