SDL 1.2 and satellite libs PRE-RELEASE

I put up a PRE-RELEASE snapshot of the 2012 Happy New Year bugfix release.
:slight_smile:

Please try these out with your projects and report any issues ASAP to
bugzilla:
http://bugzilla.libsdl.org

Here you go!

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL/SDL-1.2.15/docs.html

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_image
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_image/SDL_image-1.2.11/CHANGES

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_mixer
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_mixer/SDL_mixer-1.2.12/CHANGES

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_net
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_net/SDL_net-1.2.8/CHANGES

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_ttf
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_ttf/SDL_ttf-2.0.11/CHANGES

Cheers!

Nice news !

Thanks for these updates.

Will try the SDL_image 1.2.11 asap.

Is SDL 1.2.x supposed to “stop” one day for 1.3 version ?

Hello,

Very cool!

I think I read that midi looping is fixed now, but that is not on the
change log. I’m guessing there’s a bunch of other things not on the change
log too.

On OS X is PPC, and 10.4 support dropped? Dropped platforms should be
mentioned.

No mmx blitters is a major speed regression… is there a bug report with
the errors?

cheers,On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 5:29 AM, Sam Lantinga wrote:

I put up a PRE-RELEASE snapshot of the 2012 Happy New Year bugfix release.
:slight_smile:

Please try these out with your projects and report any issues ASAP to
bugzilla:
http://bugzilla.libsdl.org

Here you go!

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL/SDL-1.2.15/docs.html

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_image
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_image/SDL_image-1.2.11/CHANGES

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_mixer
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_mixer/SDL_mixer-1.2.12/CHANGES

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_net
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_net/SDL_net-1.2.8/CHANGES

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_ttf
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_ttf/SDL_ttf-2.0.11/CHANGES

Cheers!


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

Long Live SDL 1.2 !!!

JeZ+LeeOn 1/5/2012 11:29 PM, Sam Lantinga wrote:

I put up a PRE-RELEASE snapshot of the 2012 Happy New Year bugfix
release. :slight_smile:

Please try these out with your projects and report any issues ASAP to
bugzilla:
http://bugzilla.libsdl.org

Here you go!

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL/SDL-1.2.15/docs.html

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_image
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_image/SDL_image-1.2.11/CHANGES

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_mixer
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_mixer/SDL_mixer-1.2.12/CHANGES

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_net
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_net/SDL_net-1.2.8/CHANGES

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_ttf
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_ttf/SDL_ttf-2.0.11/CHANGES

Cheers!


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

Why is OS X PPC support being dropped?
Yes, I know it’s old and it’s doubtful how many people are actually using it but still I wonder why dropping it now.
Compiling the framework worked fine with hg of some weeks ago and the autotools way works fine with current hg.

Since SDL 1.2.15 is mostly a maintenance release I really see no reason to drop PPC support. Code changes that are incompatible with PPC haven’t been made AFAIK…

If it’s just a convenience thing of building the ppc framework on Lion, I can help out with a real PPC machine (as well as many others can help out I guess).

Because I don’t have a PPC machine or a toolchain to build it. :slight_smile:

If you contribute .dmg files with PPC universal binaries I’ll be happy to
host them, but I can’t build them.On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Dominus wrote:

**
Why is OS X PPC support being dropped?
Yes, I know it’s old and it’s doubtful how many people are actually using
it but still I wonder why dropping it now.
Compiling the framework worked fine with hg of some weeks ago and the
autotools way works fine with current hg.

Since SDL 1.2.15 is mostly a maintenance release I really see no reason to
drop PPC support. Code changes that are incompatible with PPC haven’t been
made AFAIK…

If it’s just a convenience thing of building the ppc framework on Lion, I
can help out with a real PPC machine (as well as many others can help out I
guess).


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

he he, fair enough. I’ll see what I can do this weekend. I don’t doubt I can deliver for SDL, I’m not 100% sure if I can deliver for the satellite libs since I never needed to build the frameworks for those.

As my time gets swallowed by my baby son, I wouldn’t mind if someone else steps up, but I’ll definitely look into it this weekend :slight_smile:

Dom

Sam Lantinga wrote:> Because I don’t have a PPC machine or a toolchain to build it. :slight_smile:

If you contribute .dmg files with PPC universal binaries I’ll be happy to host them, but I can’t build them.

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Dominus <@Dominus (@Dominus)> wrote:

   	Why is OS X PPC support being dropped?

Yes, I know it’s old and it’s doubtful how many people are actually using it but still I wonder why dropping it now.
Compiling the framework worked fine with hg of some weeks ago and the autotools way works fine with current hg.

Since SDL 1.2.15 is mostly a maintenance release I really see no reason to drop PPC support. Code changes that are incompatible with PPC haven’t been made AFAIK…

If it’s just a convenience thing of building the ppc framework on Lion, I can help out with a real PPC machine (as well as many others can help out I guess).

FWIW, Xcode 3 still works in Lion, so the tool chain shouldn’t be a
problem. Lack of a machine to test with is another story :slight_smile:

GregoryOn Friday, January 6, 2012, Sam Lantinga wrote:

Because I don’t have a PPC machine or a toolchain to build it. :slight_smile:

I think the very last version of Xcode (3.2.6?) removed PowerPC from
the tool chain, at least on Intel machines.On 1/6/12, Gregory Smith wrote:

On Friday, January 6, 2012, Sam Lantinga wrote:

Because I don’t have a PPC machine or a toolchain to build it. :slight_smile:

FWIW, Xcode 3 still works in Lion, so the tool chain shouldn’t be a
problem. Lack of a machine to test with is another story :slight_smile:

Gregory

–
Beginning iPhone Games Development
http://playcontrol.net/iphonegamebook/

Hello !

I think the very last version of Xcode (3.2.6?) removed PowerPC from
the tool chain, at least on Intel machines.

Is 10.4 still getting security updates from Apple ?

CU

And I don’t expect setting Xcode 3 to the 10.7 SDK will work. I’ve
recently experienced problems with another project compiling the same
code on 10.5 or 10.6 with Xcode 3 and getting it to run on 10.7. I’m
not sure why this happened, but I don’t recommend building Intel
binaries for the official distribution with Xcode 3. We could use lipo
to glue the PowerPC binaries into the Intel built libraries though.On 1/6/12, Eric Wing <@Eric_Wing> wrote:

I think the very last version of Xcode (3.2.6?) removed PowerPC from
the tool chain, at least on Intel machines.

On 1/6/12, Gregory Smith wrote:

On Friday, January 6, 2012, Sam Lantinga wrote:

Because I don’t have a PPC machine or a toolchain to build it. :slight_smile:

FWIW, Xcode 3 still works in Lion, so the tool chain shouldn’t be a
problem. Lack of a machine to test with is another story :slight_smile:

Gregory

–
Beginning iPhone Games Development
http://playcontrol.net/iphonegamebook/

–
Beginning iPhone Games Development
http://playcontrol.net/iphonegamebook/

I think the very last version of Xcode (3.2.6?) removed PowerPC from
the tool chain, at least on Intel machines.

I think it was just removed from the menu. You can still go to Other and type in ppc.

Our last release was compiled in Xcode 3 in Lion, and it works from PPC 10.4 all the way up to 64-bit Intel Lion machines.

GregoryOn Jan 6, 2012, at 10:08 PM, Eric Wing wrote:

On OS X 10.6 I use Rosetta to test PPC builds. It works just fine. OS
X will install it automatically if you try to run a PPC GUI application.
Download something like VLC for PPC and you should be good to go.On 01/06/2012 11:20 PM, Sam Lantinga wrote:

Because I don’t have a PPC machine or a toolchain to build it. :slight_smile:

If you contribute .dmg files with PPC universal binaries I’ll be happy
to host them, but I can’t build them.

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Dominus <domiman at gmail.com <mailto:domiman at gmail.com>> wrote:

Why is OS X PPC support being dropped?
Yes, I know it's old and it's doubtful how many people are actually
using it but still I wonder why dropping it now.
Compiling the framework worked fine with hg of some weeks ago and
the autotools way works fine with current hg.

Since SDL 1.2.15 is mostly a maintenance release I really see no
reason to drop PPC support. Code changes that are incompatible with
PPC haven't been made AFAIK...

If it's just a convenience thing of building the ppc framework on
Lion, I can help out with a real PPC machine (as well as many others
can help out I guess).

_______________________________________________
SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org <mailto:SDL at lists.libsdl.org>
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

10.5 is the last release that runs on PPC hardware, not 10.4.On 01/07/2012 05:12 AM, Torsten Giebl wrote:

Hello !

I think the very last version of Xcode (3.2.6?) removed PowerPC from
the tool chain, at least on Intel machines.

Is 10.4 still getting security updates from Apple ?

hi.

yes - there are still updates coming.

greetings
martinAm 07.01.2012 04:12, schrieb Torsten Giebl:

Hello !

I think the very last version of Xcode (3.2.6?) removed PowerPC from
the tool chain, at least on Intel machines.
Is 10.4 still getting security updates from Apple ?

Having the PPC binaries bundled in the distrubution frameworks will
force anyone who is going to submit software to the appstore to strip
the sdl executables of the ppc version…On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 4:13 AM, Eric Wing wrote:

And I don’t expect setting Xcode 3 to the 10.7 SDK will work. I’ve
recently experienced problems with another project compiling the same
code on 10.5 or 10.6 with Xcode 3 and getting it to run on 10.7. I’m
not sure why this happened, but I don’t recommend building Intel
binaries for the official distribution with Xcode 3. We could use lipo
to glue the PowerPC binaries into the Intel built libraries though.

On 1/6/12, Eric Wing wrote:

I think the very last version of Xcode (3.2.6?) removed PowerPC from
the tool chain, at least on Intel machines.

On 1/6/12, Gregory Smith wrote:

On Friday, January 6, 2012, Sam Lantinga wrote:

Because I don’t have a PPC machine or a toolchain to build it. :slight_smile:

FWIW, Xcode 3 still works in Lion, so the tool chain shouldn’t be a
problem. Lack of a machine to test with is another story :slight_smile:

Gregory

–
Beginning iPhone Games Development
http://playcontrol.net/iphonegamebook/

–
Beginning iPhone Games Development
http://playcontrol.net/iphonegamebook/


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

and that’s so difficult…
But aren’t there license issues anyway with SDL 1.2 apps on the app store? How does the lesser GPL like another license on top of it?

If you link with the SDL framework there’s no problem.On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Dominus wrote:

**
and that’s so difficult…
But aren’t there license issues anyway with SDL 1.2 apps on the app store?
How does the lesser GPL like another license on top of it?


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

Oh, that’s a good point. I didn’t realize that Apple was rejecting apps
with PPC code in them. I rebuilt the mikmod and smpeg frameworks without
PPC code, thanks!

Anybody who wants to distribute 10.4 PPC frameworks can either rebuild them
themselves or grab the 10.4 frameworks that Dominus makes.On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Vittorio Giovara <vitto.giova at yahoo.it>wrote:

Having the PPC binaries bundled in the distrubution frameworks will
force anyone who is going to submit software to the appstore to strip
the sdl executables of the ppc version…

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 4:13 AM, Eric Wing wrote:

And I don’t expect setting Xcode 3 to the 10.7 SDK will work. I’ve
recently experienced problems with another project compiling the same
code on 10.5 or 10.6 with Xcode 3 and getting it to run on 10.7. I’m
not sure why this happened, but I don’t recommend building Intel
binaries for the official distribution with Xcode 3. We could use lipo
to glue the PowerPC binaries into the Intel built libraries though.

On 1/6/12, Eric Wing wrote:

I think the very last version of Xcode (3.2.6?) removed PowerPC from
the tool chain, at least on Intel machines.

On 1/6/12, Gregory Smith wrote:

On Friday, January 6, 2012, Sam Lantinga <@slouken> wrote:

Because I don’t have a PPC machine or a toolchain to build it. :slight_smile:

FWIW, Xcode 3 still works in Lion, so the tool chain shouldn’t be a
problem. Lack of a machine to test with is another story :slight_smile:

Gregory

–
Beginning iPhone Games Development
http://playcontrol.net/iphonegamebook/

–
Beginning iPhone Games Development
http://playcontrol.net/iphonegamebook/


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org


SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

No functionality issues reported so far, are these good to go?On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Sam Lantinga <@slouken> wrote:

I put up a PRE-RELEASE snapshot of the 2012 Happy New Year bugfix release.
:slight_smile:

Please try these out with your projects and report any issues ASAP to
bugzilla:
http://bugzilla.libsdl.org

Here you go!

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL/SDL-1.2.15/docs.html

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_image
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_image/SDL_image-1.2.11/CHANGES

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_mixer
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_mixer/SDL_mixer-1.2.12/CHANGES

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_net
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_net/SDL_net-1.2.8/CHANGES

http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_ttf
http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL_ttf/SDL_ttf-2.0.11/CHANGES

Cheers!