SDL and DirectX 11

Hi all. I have done some work on making Sdl compatible with directX 11 and some of it?s components. I have so far concentrated on the rendering: in particular smoothening out the screen refresh rate and the swap chain so that rendering could be achieved more smoothly, smoothening out the graphical and the drawing of 3d models and 3d shapes. I have also made a separte class which will allow you to import maya and max3d models and objects directly into SDL, and also a class file to allow SDL to interpret HLSL, microsoft?s high level shading language. There is obviously some more work to be done, especially in terms of windows 8 usability. I hope that by next week or the week after, I?ll be able to commit my changes to mercurial. By the way, you will also be able to create apps for windows 8 based smart phones with these. However, I?ll need someone with a windows 8 machine to help me test out what I?ve done so far. Because of my absence of sight, I?ve asked my wife to help me look at the screen to see if there are, for example, unwanted glitches and artificts while processing takes place. She told me that so far as her untrained eyes could see, there isn?t any, which is quite a relief. However, I?ll need some one with more programming insight to see beyond what my wife can see, so if anyone is willing to volunteer a bit of time, please get in touch with me and we can make the necessary arrangements. Thanks all and cheers! and thanks Sam for a wonderful tool which is worth investing time and effort on.

Jafar,

I want to personally thank you for your effort so far.
I cant wait to see SDL2 working on Windows 8 RT and Windows Phone 8.

I would like to help you but I feel I am not skilled on what you want and
I don’t have windows 8 yet.

thanks again,
Giorgos> ----- Original Message -----

Subject: [SDL] SDL and DirectX 11
To: SDL@lists.libsdl.org
Date: 09/11/2012 05:52

Hi all. I have done some work on making Sdl compatible with directX 11
and some of itas components. I have so far concentrated on the
rendering: in particular smoothening out the screen refresh rate and the
swap chain so that rendering could be achieved more smoothly,
smoothening out the graphical and the drawing of 3d models and 3d
shapes. I have also made a separte class which will allow you to import
maya and max3d models and objects directly into SDL, and also a class
file to allow SDL to interpret HLSL, microsofta
s high level shading
language. There is obviously some more work to be done, especially in
terms of windows 8 usability. I hope that by next week or the week
after, Iall be able to commit my changes to mercurial. By the way, you
will also be able to create apps for windows 8 based smart phones with
these. However, Ia
ll need someone with a windows 8 machine to help me
test out what Iave done so far. Because of my absence of sight, Iave
asked my wife to help me look at the screen to see if there are, for
example, unwanted glitches and artificts while processing takes place.
She told me that so far as her untrained eyes could see, there isnat
any, which is quite a relief. However, Ia
ll need some one with more
programming insight to see beyond what my wife can see, so if anyone is
willing to volunteer a bit of time, please get in touch with me and we
can make the necessary arrangements. Thanks all and cheers! and thanks
Sam for a wonderful tool which is worth investing time and effort on.

SDL mailing list
SDL@lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

Hi Jaffar,

I’m interested in looking at what you have as well. I’ve been doing a bit of regular work trying to set SDL 2.x to work on Windows RT and ARM devices. So far, I’ve been able to get some events working, namely mouse and keyboard events (with a limited set of key codes) in conjunction with SDL_PumpEvents. I am now working on getting old-style, non-accelerated 2d graphics up and running, via SDL_GetWindowSurface and SDL_UpdateWindowSurface. I’m curious to see what areas of functionality your code might be complementary, and what areas overlap.

Cheers,
David Ludwig

Hi David. My work with SDL has been to try to get SDL to interface in a highly robust and effective way with DirectX11. This is so that Sdl will have the same type of interfacing support as with OpenGL, and also that it will be possible for us to use SDL to develop games for Win rt, Xbox, and all the existing windows versions. I?ll send you my code once I?ve organized it into a neater structure. For now, I think I have been able to get sdl to sync with DirectX11 in terms of onscreen rendering, HLSL interpretation, and importation of Maya and max3d objects and models. But these are still in their crude stages, and I?ll have to spend some time refining the code to get a better job done. I?ll send my work to you in a week or two. Cheers!From: DLudwig
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:36 AM
To: sdl at lists.libsdl.org
Subject: Re: [SDL] SDL and DirectX 11

Hi Jaffar,

I’m interested in looking at what you have as well. I’ve been doing a bit of regular work trying to set SDL 2.x to work on Windows RT and ARM devices. So far, I’ve been able to get some events working, namely mouse and keyboard events (with a limited set of key codes) in conjunction with SDL_PumpEvents. I am now working on getting old-style, non-accelerated 2d graphics up and running, via SDL_GetWindowSurface and SDL_UpdateWindowSurface. I’m curious to see what areas of functionality your code might be complementary, and what areas overlap.

Cheers,
David Ludwig

SDL mailing list
SDL at lists.libsdl.org
http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

Thanks for the update, Jaffar. If you’re interested in taking a look at where I am at, I’ve been posting updates to a Bitbucket-hosted Mercurial branch of SDL 2, available at: https://bitbucket.org/DavidLudwig/sdl/. A list of my WinRT-related checkins are at https://bitbucket.org/DavidLudwig/sdl/changesets/tip/WinRT/. I’m hoping to get some further work in on this in about a week or so, when I’ll have a few days off from work. To note, the port is currently unusable and only ever displays a 3D cube on-screen. It does, however, emit mouse and keyboard events in an SDL-style. My next goal is to get something displaying via SDL_UpdateWindowSurface.

I look forward to seeing what you’ve been working on!

Cheers,
– David L.

Thanks for the update, Jaffar. If you’re interested in taking a look at where I am at, I’ve been posting updates to a Bitbucket-hosted Mercurial branch of SDL 2, available at: https://bitbucket.org/DavidLudwig/sdl/. A list of my WinRT-related checkins are at https://bitbucket.org/DavidLudwig/sdl/changesets/tip/WinRT/. I’m hoping to get some further work in on this in about a week or so, when I’ll have a few days off from work. To note, the port is currently unusable and only ever displays a 3D cube on-screen. It does, however, emit mouse and keyboard events in an SDL-style. My next goal is to get something displaying via SDL_UpdateWindowSurface.

I look forward to seeing what you’ve been working on!

Cheers,
– David L.