SDL in windows

I can not seem to get the basics!
I have an open source Linux developed code that can be compiled under windows (which is what I’m trying to do)
There are two ways: one with dev-cpp and one using the autoconfig tools.
Both ways give the same error message (although at different points - but the same message). In other words, I’m not getting off the ground with this build:

In file included from C:/GNU/Dev-cpp/include/SDL/SDL_main.h:26,
                 from C:/GNU/Dev-cpp/include/SDL/SDL.h:28,
                 from src/audio.h:29,
                 from src/audio.cpp:23:
C:/GNU/Dev-cpp/include/SDL/SDL_stdinc.h:579: warning: `SDL_iconv' initialized and declared `extern'
C:/GNU/Dev-cpp/include/SDL/SDL_stdinc.h:579: error: `iconv_t' was not declared in this scope

C:/GNU/Dev-cpp/include/SDL/SDL_stdinc.h:579: error: expected primary-expression before "const"

C:/GNU/Dev-cpp/include/SDL/SDL_stdinc.h:579: error: expected primary-expression before '*' token
C:/GNU/Dev-cpp/include/SDL/SDL_stdinc.h:579: error: `inbytesleft' was not declared in this scope
C:/GNU/Dev-cpp/include/SDL/SDL_stdinc.h:579: error: expected primary-expression before "char"
C:/GNU/Dev-cpp/include/SDL/SDL_stdinc.h:579: error: expected primary-expression before '*' token
C:/GNU/Dev-cpp/include/SDL/SDL_stdinc.h:579: error: `outbytesleft' was not declared in this scope
C:/GNU/Dev-cpp/include/SDL/SDL_stdinc.h:579: error: initializer expression list treated as compound expression

mingw32-make: *** [src/audio.o] Error 1

Execution terminated

So I’m at a loss. Any suggestions?

I have SDL-1.2.12-win32 expanded and placed in
c:\gnu\dev-cpp\bin, \lib, \include. In sdl_config file, the prefix points to /c/gnu/dev-cpp.
I have tried to build sdl from sources but keep getting an error about NOSTATIC.256.
All this happens on two different machines.

Any help will appreciated.
Thank you very much,
Marion Yapuncich
@Marion_Yapuncich