SDL_Mixer and Unrecognized MP3's

I’ve been trying to get MP3’s to play on my OS X box for a while now through SDL_Mixer.

I have smpeg 0.4.4, SDL 1.2.5, and SDL_Mixer 1.2.4 installed from source. I can use smpeg’s “plaympeg” command-line to play MP3’s, but when I try to use one in “playmus”, I just get an unrecognized file type error. SDL_Mixer plays .wav files just fine.

I’ve tried stripping the ID3 tags from the MP3’s, different encoders, and can’t think of ANYTHING else to do. The other odd part of this is that OGG files return the same error.

Everything compiles well enough and in the configure script I set the --enable-MP3=yes and --enable-OGG=yes options, even though they say default=yes. I’ve also tried disabling all but MP3, OGG, and WAV. It will compile fine, but still won’t play MP3’s.

I’ve tried using the PBProject, and I modified the file to include MP3 and such, but that doesn’t work either.

The only possible thing I can think of is that my Framworks are all installed in /Library/Frameworks, rather than ($HOME)/Library/Frameworks . Is that something I should try?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,
thanks
Josh–
Joshua Franklin
@sadrith_at_onebox.co - email
http://oriens.livejournal.com/

Your mails aren’t wrapping properly; you might want to check that.On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 03:09:34PM -0500, sadrith at onebox.com wrote:

I have smpeg 0.4.4, SDL 1.2.5, and SDL_Mixer 1.2.4 installed from source. I can use smpeg’s “plaympeg” command-line to play MP3’s, but when I try to use one in “playmus”, I just get an unrecognized file type error. SDL_Mixer plays .wav files just fine.

I’ve tried stripping the ID3 tags from the MP3’s, different encoders, and can’t think of ANYTHING else to do. The other odd part of this is that OGG files return the same error.

SDL_Mixer doesn’t support MP3s or OGGs as samples, only as streams. As
a workaround, you might try linking against SDL_Sound, loading the sound
yourself and sending it to SDL_Mixer with Mix_QuickLoad_RAW. (I havn’t
tried that.)

This is documented, but it could be made clearer …

Glenn Maynard