Wiki.libsdl.org

I have made several requests to the wiki.libsdl.org email address for a new account so that I can login and contribute to missing examples programs. There does not seem to be anyone monitoring the Wiki email.

How can I get a wiki.libsdl.org account so that I can make contributions?

Thanks!

UPDATE:
After almost a week of waiting I was finally contacted by a SDL representative “Sam Lantinga” who only permitted example/test code contributions with many frivolous requirements - I have since rescinded my offer to help.

Mr Lantinga lacked basic knowledge of platform differences such as windows system boxes unpreventable closing unless a pause is inserted so information can be read from stdout and stderror. He also was under the delusion that contributed code should be universally written for all platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac, and all mobile device). Good luck on that endeavor (you might want to check with the Java developers and see how efficient that has worked for them).

It was very apparent he wanted full support for development on mobile devices at the expense to those of us that are real programmers on desktop graphics development machines.

It is my belief it is better for the programming community to assist existing projects instead of splintering resources with new parallel efforts. But given the departure from reality of Mr. Lantinga’s demands, I feel he has lost touch with the spirit of volunteerism which is, “you don’t always get what you want the first time around, but you should be happy with contributions that leave you better off then you where before!”

For the above regrettable reasons. I find it prudent for me to independently start my own SDL2 documentation project which will support all contributions and remain within a realistic framework of volunteerism.

1 Like

I totally agree with Sam - it should. My SDL2-based application targets all those platforms, so any ‘contributed code’ that doesn’t run on them all is useless to me anyway.

a SDL representative “Sam Lantinga”

Sam is the project lead on SDL, and his opinion on this matches the long-held cross-platform goals of the library he’s been building for two decades.

real programmers

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

The irony is that policy does not match the existing code practices. For example the use of,
void main()
breaks under g++ (mingw and several other compilers) which is about as mainstream as you can get.
I predict writing code for the lowest crippled OS (in this case mobile devices) will fail on many fronts. First as other vendors eventually enter the market they will deviate more heavily than they do now (they don’t comply with C99 and it will only get worse) as they gain market share.

Second, mobile platforms in particular are in rapid development and whatever works this year is sure to change in one or two years. All one has to do is look at how things where 3 years ago and the rapid development and deviation is growing exponentially so 3 years from now is anybody’s guess.

There are several more reasons, but it’s your project so I am off to do my own thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where did you find “void main()”? I could neither find it in the wiki nor in the SDL sourcecode (except in GLSL shader code where it’s correct)

Hey, I offered to test your code but you have declined the offer - I’m now doing other things :slight_smile:
But I will add to that, most programs are calling main with a return value without declaring a return value when calling main - that breaks too (or the return value is on the wrong line).
main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
return 0;
}

TBH I have no idea what you’re even talking about.
You’re only vaguely complaining about some kind of documentation being wrong, without telling us what documentation specifically you mean - what are we supposed to do about that?

Could you just give us a link to that incorrect code (or tell us which file from the official SDL source distribution it is, if it’s from there) so we’re all on the same page?
Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

2 Likes